Losing Tetras

Atiger25

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
I have had a 60g tank for about a month now, it was cycled in two weeks and I’ve had Neon tetras, Diamond tetras, Angels and a L018 pleco since then. About a week ago the pleco died during the night for apparently no reason, he’d been feeding the night before and seemed healthy. I tested the water and it was fine (I’ll get into that below). Two days later I noticed a couple of the neons had developed a light ich infection so I turned the temp up to around 80 and started ich treatment (about half of the recommended dose since I have live plants) since then, the neons slowly faded and died, but they didn’t seem to getting any more spots. They just stopped eating and sat near the bottom until they died. After the last one died I noticed the smaller diamond tetras (I had 5) start to do the same thing, and they were dead within 24 hours. Another one did it after that and it just died today. Right now the two diamonds I have left (the biggest) are just sitting on the bottom and kind of swimming against the current. They won’t touch anything and they’re super skittish which is really unlike them. They’re in my quarantine tank now but not sure if they’ll be alive still tomorrow. The weirdest part is that the angels have not been affected at all and they seem perfectly healthy and happy still.

Results of water tests (Done by both me and the local fish store) (API liquid test)
PH-7.8 which I might think was the issue but they’d already been in the tank for 2+ weeks with no problems.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-4.0
Phosphate and copper was tested at the store and they didn’t say the exact levels but they said they looked good.
I know this was long but hopefully it gives you all most of the information. Thanks.
 

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
557
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
3 years
Do you know if your fish medication was expired? Is your water conditioner expired? If you’re using stress coat or any conditioner with aloe Vera the aloe Vera can rot/ get old. Smell your conditioner. It’s normal for conditioners to smell weird (seachem prime smells like Sulphur) but stress coat should smell almost like plant gel. Were there any chemicals used near the tank, maybe a spray cleaner that might have caused residues in your tank? Is your tank getting enough oxygen? Did you put your hand in the tank and maybe had residues of oils/lotions/soaps?

It’s possible the fish were just sick/weak from the moment you bought them or that they did not acclimate well to conditions, or conditions may have changed. Some meds can alter pH. What was the pH of the environment you purchased them from? Most LFSs will use the same water as you, but they may use pH buffers.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Crimson_687 said:
Do you know if your fish medication was expired? Is your water conditioner expired? If you’re using stress coat or any conditioner with aloe Vera the aloe Vera can rot/ get old. Smell your conditioner. It’s normal for conditioners to smell weird (seachem prime smells like Sulphur) but stress coat should smell almost like plant gel. Were there any chemicals used near the tank, maybe a spray cleaner that might have caused residues in your tank? Is your tank getting enough oxygen? Did you put your hand in the tank and maybe had residues of oils/lotions/soaps?

It’s possible the fish were just sick/weak from the moment you bought them or that they did not acclimate well to conditions, or conditions may have changed. Some meds can alter pH. What was the pH of the environment you purchased them from? Most LFSs will use the same water as you, but they may use pH buffers.
I haven’t really used used conditioner before since I’m on a well tap and there’s nothing in the water. No chemicals near the tank. I have an air stone, plus the filter flow does pretty well too. I have put my hands in the tank but I always try to make sure they’re clean. I believe the pH from the store was about 7, but that shouldn’t have mattered if they’d lived two weeks without a problem right? I’ve been testing the water frequently and there were no changes in anything really.
 

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
557
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
3 years
Atiger25 said:
I haven’t really used used conditioner before since I’m on a well tap and there’s nothing in the water. No chemicals near the tank. I have an air stone, plus the filter flow does pretty well too. I have put my hands in the tank but I always try to make sure they’re clean. I believe the pH from the store was about 7, but that shouldn’t have mattered if they’d lived two weeks without a problem right? I’ve been testing the water frequently and there were no changes in anything really.
Is there any bullying going on? The Angels may be the culprit, which could explain why they are fine and the other fish are not. If the neon tetra sat at the bottom until they die, it may have been because the Angels occupies the mid and top level of the tank.

Are any fish showing signs of other sickness? Maybe the white dots was not ich?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
It didn’t seem like there was any friction... I lost another diamond tetras from my quarantine tank last night and the one that’s left still won’t eat. I’ve tried foods with garlic in them without luck. They’ve always been the most active fish in the tank so it’s really strange. Also the angels didn’t feed this morning which isn’t normal so not sure if there’s something going on there.
 

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
557
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
3 years
Atiger25 said:
It didn’t seem like there was any friction... I lost another diamond tetras from my quarantine tank last night and the one that’s left still won’t eat. I’ve tried foods with garlic in them without luck. They’ve always been the most active fish in the tank so it’s really strange. Also the angels didn’t feed this morning which isn’t normal so not sure if there’s something going on there.
There probably is. Not eating is the first sign something is wrong.

I think it’s something in your water. Try doing a 50% water change. If you can, let it match the temp in your tank.

The only thing I can think of otherwise is neon tetra disease, which angelfish are susceptible to.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Crimson_687 said:
Is there any bullying going on? The Angels may be the culprit, which could explain why they are fine and the other fish are not. If the neon tetra sat at the bottom until they die, it may have been because the Angels occupies the mid and top level of the tank.

Are any fish showing signs of other sickness? Maybe the white dots was not ich?
Here’s a picture of one of the neons. Also a couple of the diamonds that died seemed to have mild popeye but not until a few hours before they died.
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

New Member
Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Crimson_687 said:
There probably is. Not eating is the first sign something is wrong.

I think it’s something in your water. Try doing a 50% water change. If you can, let it match the temp in your tank.

The only thing I can think of otherwise is neon tetra disease, which angelfish are susceptible to.
I did do a 50% change yesterday. That what I was wondering, but that doesn’t usually affect other kinds of tetras or does it? Again, the test results that I have above have held steady at those numbers for 2+ weeks except for the nitrate maybe going up and down a couple ppm every few days (from 0 to 4 and back) I guess I’ll have to see what the angels are doing when I get back from work because with the others they went from not eating to sitting on the bottom and eventually dying.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
202
Guests online
3,145
Total visitors
3,347

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom