Losing my enjoyment in the hobby

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lady Monster, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Lady Monster

Lady MonsterWell Known MemberMember

So i have been having a streak of bad luck this week. It started with my 1 month old filter motor burning out Friday, hours before i was supposed to leave town for the weekend. I had to drive 40 miles just to get a replacement. I came home today from my trip thinking everything was good because my water was clearer than ever and no fish died. I did a pwc as a precaution, then i left home for the day. Then I came home to find that about 5 gallons of water overflowed out the back of my new filter, down my ridiculously expensive particle board stand, and all over the carpet. Which i couldn't really clean since its up against a wall. My neighbor works for a company that takes care of flood damage, so he let me borrow a huge fan to dry my carpet with. While he's situating the fan and I'm situating the filter i notice that the water wheel on my bubbler is spinning, i jammed it because my snails get stuck there and i didn't want the wheel to smack them in the face. The rock i jammed it with must have shifted when i filled the tank earlier because i dump the water over the bubbler so sand and gravel don't get blown out of place, i see 1 of my 3 remaining shrimp (i started with 6 in that tank) and its pinched in the groove of the wheel, and spinning. Im freaking out thinking its dead but i moved the plastic piece and my shrimp frees itself, im assessing the damage when i see it was my saddled female who is actually berried now. So im worried she's going to die or lose her babies.

I already know the next thing is going to be that stand. I didn't realize it was particle board when i bought it or i wouldn't of spent a penny on it. But now that the back had water dripping down it for like 5 hours its going to swell and probably just crumble or something and my 30 gallon is going to crush the board and it'll spill the entire tank on the floor and ill come home to see all my fish dead.

I'm supposed to set up my 55 gallon but after this week im no longer excited about it. I just don't want to deal with another tank right now.

I also have a 10 gallon in my daughter's room that seemed ok after the weekend except for a weird white residue surrounding the new moss ball i dropped in before i left town. I cleaned it off before I added it, and I added 2 to the 30 gallon and it didn't get the fungus.

Does anyone else have this many problems? I've invested too much money on this hobby to give up but i feel like it's more trouble than it's worth right now. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby but man am i stressing out!

2. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

I think we all know the feeling to some extent. Just recently hit a boulder myself with 2 deaths today and one a week or so ago (all unrelated and accidental). Female DG passed from iridovirus, male angelfish passed last night/ early this morning from kidney failure, and male DG passed this evening from unknown cause. Water params are safe and stable.

When things go smoothly this hobby is great! But when it rains, it pours. We just have to stick in there and things will star looking up again.

3. MsMercenary

MsMercenaryNew MemberMember

Venting is essential - I hope that you already feel a little bit better.

I've had many similar experiences, and have dropped and re-entered the hobby several times (which is why I'm in Beginners again - having had a very mobile life, never settled anywhere long enough in the last 10 years). There are times when everything seems to go wrong all at once - troubles come in threes, they say.

Don't quit just yet. You have a new tank to set up!!! Just think how much fun that will be!

And - yes, it's sometimes a lot of work. But it is said that relaxation is a switch of activities. Maintenance - aside from force majeurs - are also part of relaxation.

You are creating something beautiful. How many artists have to restart until they get it just right? But when it's just right - it's so rewarding, isn't it.

Plus, the fish are so pretty! ;)

4. Secret OasisValued MemberMember

woah! thats a rough week hold in there! Im sure everyone here has a bad week with fishkeeping i know a month or so ago i had a seal start leaking on a canister filter and by the time we woke up half the tank drained from it only reason it stopped was because the intake tube was no longer below water so around 30 gallons of water what a mess... and in recent news i accidentally dumped an entire can on flake food on the ground. i just stared at it thinking did that just happen?

5. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I know the feeling. Don't feel you have to push yourself to set up the new tank. Wait a bit until all this has passed and you're feeling better.

As for the stand, if it hasn't swollen up yet it's possible that the water didn't get past the veneer or whatever coating is on it. I would take a flashlight and inspect all the surfaces and joins to look for bubbling. If you see any then I would at least brace it with 2x4's on end as added insurance until you can get something better. Maybe even drain the tank partially and set it on the floor temporarily. A stand collapse would just be the icing on the cake to the week you've had.

Hope the streak is over and things start looking up for you!

6. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

Secret Oasis
    Better the ground than in your tank, right? lol

7. Secret OasisValued MemberMember

rightfully so haha it was close to that happening though

8. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I found a new stand online. Its petco brand but half price on Amazon. Its metal (like the 10 gallon stand). I don't want to risk this particle board stand, was about $117 but this metal stand is $40 and has very good reviews. The wood one i have now has mostly bad reviews. So im going to buy it and just use my current stand as a side table or something.

I think the filter overflowed because i shoved old filter pad in it so it would seed my biomax and I wouldn't lose my newly achieved cycle, after it overflowed i cleaned the old pad and new sponge, both were just filthy after 3 days. I squeezed them in a cup of tank water and it was black when I was finished.

And the shrimp thing, i started with 9 rcs, 6 in the 30 gallon and 3 in the 10 gallon. The betta killed the 3 shrimp within hours. And in the 30 gallon, my filter killed 3 of them. They didn't get sucked up but they get stuck to the intake tube and died. Red cherry shrimp aren't cheap at my lfs at almost $5 a piece. So when i saw i had a female i got excited that she would repopulate my tank and would be a-okay. But then she got pinched and spun in circles for who knows how long :(

Deep breaths!!!!

9. Charles556

Charles556Valued MemberMember

Sounds like you had a rough go of it. I can assure you that things'll get better. :)

I think I know what stand you're talking about. It's the Petco Brooklyn style stand, correct? I have the same stand for my 20 long, and it's very stable and strong. You won't have to worry about it bowing under the weight of your tank, unlike particle board stands.

10. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Yep that's the one. Thanks for confirming its worth buying. I'm just wondering if its going to be tall enough. It says 29.5 inches tall, i can't find dimension for my current stand to compare height.

11. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

You made a good choice, the Petco Brooklyn stand is the sturdiest thing on the market (probably) I'm a massive fan of it's stability and quality for the price. I have one holding my 55g.

12. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

The metal stand on my 10 gallon came from walmart, dont recall the brand but its very sturdy. The 55 gallon im setting up is used from my neighbor and comes with a wooden stand, once we get it in the house ill know if its something durable or if i should get a metal one for it. Thats some serious strength! 550 lbs of water, 55 lbs of substrates, what do rocks weigh? Luckily my neighbor is just giving it to me as a gift, im trying to learn from my newbie purchase mistakes lol.

13. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I got my 55g for free too, someone on this forum was moving and needed rid of it, I couldn't believe my luck when I saw that they were in the same city as me.

14. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I'm hoping there are some people near me, someone stared a thread from Missouri not too long ago.

15. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Ouch, I'm so sorry for the week you've had. I know we've all had times like that, or times where we do everything we can for our little ones and things just don't seem to go right.

If you haven't already, I would definitely suggest that you pick up a pre-filter sponge of some sort to put over the intake. Shrimp and snails are wonderful at getting themselves stuck to things. Added benefit, it will also give them somewhere to eat and give you somewhere for additional BB to colonize.

If you aren't feeling the larger tank right now, wait to set it up. No reason to do it if you don't want to. This is supposed to be a fun and relaxing hobby, but it can definitely be stressful at times. Don't want the 55 to remind you of all the stress from this week. Take some time, get your new stand, and then do the 55 when you feel ready to :)

16. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Ouch, what a week! Welcome to the forum, glad you are here to learn you are not alone in having stuff go wrong. Another vote for wait on the 55. Good luck!

17. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I think i will clean the 55, fill it up and attempt a fishless cycle. That way i have a few weeks to settle on stocking idea and order my fish.

I have to accept that bad days just come with the hobby.

18. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Great! Then we can all together move on to the super fun topic of stocking! There is a whole forum dedicated to this issue, but we can chat here too. When I was deciding I would browse other threads in the stocking forum to help me get ideas.

19. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I can't find the topic on mobile. But i already have a few ideas. Ill start a new thread :)

Can anyone link me to 55 gallon stock thread?

20. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice