Losing Fish

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
have been losing fish on a daily basis. All water readings are excellent. Ammonia-0, nitrite-0, Nitrate-5 PH-7.6. I have attached a couple pics of silver dollars with spots on them. I have absolutely no clue why my fish are dying. I have another 55 gallon at myoffice so while not an expert I have some knowledge of fish-keeping. The tank I am having a problem with is a 75 gallon with a cascade canister filter.

skippi

Reaction score
Chipster, it sounds and almost looks like you have ick. Do the dots look like salt granules on your fish?? If they do then you have ick. There is an awesome chart that isabella found linked to this site you can look up treatment options there. I believe that you raise the temp of the water to like 84ish and then treat them with medication. Someone like butterfly or isabella will answer and give you more help though. hang in there..

Heidi

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your water seems very good Chipster, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and only 5 nitrate ... hmm. Looks like water quality is not the cause of the problem. I can't see the spots well but I CAN nevertheless see them. If they're grain-like, rather than cottony, it is ich. Ich usually occurs from ammonia or nitrite poisoning, and it may occur if nitrate is too high. I suppose it can also be brought with new fish from a fish store, as any other disease. On the chart I have listed, as SkippI has said, there are instructions on what medications to use in case of ich.

Did you perhaps have a sudden temperature drop or increase in your tank lately? Or a sudden pH drop or increase? These could have had an impact on your fish. How often do you perform water changes and how large are they?

Maracide by Mardel Labs is a treatment for ich. You could try it in combination with aquarium salt (if you don't have any scale-less fish and if it's safe for your fish to be treated with salt). Add Maracide according to the label, increase the temperature SLOWLY to at least 82F (some people would increase it higher - but I don't know what your fish will and will not tolerate). As for the salt, 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water should be added. When you add salt, tough, mix it first in a few cups of your tank water until it is completely dissolved, then pour the solution into your tank slowly. If you perform a water change, add the appropriate amount of Maracide and salt back into the tank (the same amount that you took out), but be careful not to overmedicate. I hear it is better to treat for two terms - that is, if the label gives instruction on treating for one week, do it the whole week and then repeat it again for the next week - this will ensure the disease is eradicated. However, after you finish one term of treatment, change at least 50% of the water one day and then 50% of the water the next day, to have totally new water  - or at least mostly new water (in which case you could do, like, 30-40% water changes for 2 days) - when you start treating again. BUT if your tap pH is very different from your tank pH, maybe perform smaller water changes. Yet ... then again, it's good to have clean water when starting the treatment again (for the 2nd term).

CopperSafe by Mardel Labs also cures ich.

OP
C

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks so much for your answers. I went to LFS today and got LIFEGUARD which was recommended by a very knowledgeable employee. It is a new treatment. Has anyone heard of this. It says it treats many diseases. Anyhow I started this and we will see how it goes. I also bought another 10 gal for quarantine.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You're welcome. I've never heard of Lifeguard, but I hope it's effective. Good luck with your fish. By the way, the 10 gallon tank needs to be cycled before you use it.

P.S. Your silver dollars are so beautiful. If I didn't look closer at them, I'd think that the white dots are parts of their glittering scales.

OP
C

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, I am cycling my 10 gal with water (5 gallons)from my existing tank and also putting some filter media in. Would it be better to float media or put it in filter..Also how do you keep small tank cycled if fish are not in it for a while. I am not putting any gravel in it either...

Chip

sasha

Reaction score
hi, it defo looks like white spot to me, how long have you had your fish in the tank for? Could they be stressed by something, since your water parameters is good that is the only thing I can think of but I am new to this aswell
hope your fish are fine with the treatment...good luck

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Chipster, it's best to cycle a tank with the filter media IN the filter! And why do you have only 5 gallons of water in a 10 gallon tank? Fill it up to the end (with dechlorinated tap water or bottled spring water if you like). If you want the tank to cycle faster, you can cut a small piece of sponge from your filter from the other tank (that is cycled already), and put this piece next to the sponge of your new filter that you're trying to cycle now. This should seed the new filter with the beneficial bacteria. You can also scatter a handful of gravel from your mature tank over the bottom of your new tank to speed up the cycle. When the tank is cycled, you can remove the gravel from the new tank, back to the other tank.

To keep an empty tank cycled, you can be adding pure ammonia to it. Though I don't know how much and how often - never used it. Or, supposedly, you can regularly throw in there a few flakes of fish food (don't know how often either). What I do, however, to keep my 10G quarantine tank cycled, is I simply have a few small fish in there. If ever any of my fish from the main tank gets sick, I can transfer the few fish from the 10G to the main tank, and then transfer the sick fish from the main tank to the 10G tank. (Remember to acclimatize fish when transferring them.) Because I keep just a few small fish in the 10 gallon tank, they won't cause any sudden ammonia and/or nitrite spikes after I've transferred them to the main tank (which is 30 gallons).

I hope that helps.

P.S. How are the fish doing now?

OP
C

chipster55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have had no more losses..Fish are looking great. Te red tail is back to normal. I put 10 gallons in tank..Sorry I must have hiy wrong key..What kind of fish do you use...Danios?? Thanks for your info on new tank..I like that fish idea..Would you move the fish in your q tank when you bought new ones?? I was floating some media and also did like you said with old media and filter. This filter is so small there is room for only bacterial medium..Would you keep the medium you added to filter, in the filter?. Thanks.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I bought any new fish, yes, I'd temporarily move the few fish that I have in the 10 gallon quarantine tank to the 30 gallon main tank, and then - when the 10G is empty - I'd put the newly-bought fish in there for a few weeks' observation period. This is to make sure they're not sick and won't infect the fish in the main tank when I transfer them there. If the new fish turned out healthy, I'd simply transfer them to the 30G, and take the few fish from the 30G back to the 10G. OK?

If, however, the new fish turned out sick in the 10G, I'd have the few fish from the 10G saved, because they'd be transferred to the 30G before they ever came in contact with the new sick fish. As for the new sick fish, I'd keep them in the 10G quarantine tank until they got healthy (through medicating them if that would be necessary). After they've recovered and been again observed for a while to make sure the disease doesn't return, then I'd put them n the main tank. BUT ... a tank that has been medicated usually has to be cleaned. So I'd clean the 10G tank and cycle it anew before I put the few fish back in there. Now you see how it works, hopefully.

Now, after your tank is cycled and your new filter is seeded with the beneficial bacteria from the small piece that you cut off from the sponge of an established filter, you can remove the small cut-off piece of sponge. But let it stay there until the tank is surely cycled.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom