Losing fish in high tech aquarium

Crumpy141

Reaction score
HI everyone

Sorry if this shouldn't go here, just looking for advice as I am losing fish almost every other day.

I have a 5ft 500l tank
2 external filters. JBL 901 and fluval 406
Injecting co2 using a ceramic in tank diffuser.
Co2 comes on 1 hour before the lights
Lights are on for 8 hours
Co2 and lights both turn off together
I have a ph monitor in the tank and every morning the monitor is reading about 7.4 and I'm injecting (in my opinion) a lot of co2. I am averaging more than 5 bubbles a second and no matter what I do the co2 drop checker never moves from blue.

By the time my lights are due to go off my ph reader is showing 6.8

I did a KH test which turned yellow after 4 drops.

Is everything ok? Am I stressing over nothing and just have poor stock? Or is something going wrong somewhere?

Attachments

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m still no expert and not very familiar with CO2 injection, but aren’t large ph swings (greater than .2 in 24hrs) stressful and even potentially fatal for fish?

OP
C

Crumpy141

Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Something is up that your DC doesn't change color .
It is changing but barely. It has never been green since I set this tank up over 8 months agi

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
KH seems in the low side to me. Maybe try bringing that up a bit and it would stabilize tour ph. I don’t think that ph swing is that bad though.

OP
C

Crumpy141

Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
KH seems in the low side to me. Maybe try bringing that up a bit and it would stabilize tour ph. I don’t think that ph swing is that bad though.
I thought our water was quite hard to be honest, perhaps not, how should I safely raise my KH? would that affect the CO2 test colour?

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It’s probably the ph swing and over time it’s weakening your fish.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
If you're going from 7.4-6.8 mathematically you are going from 5-20 ppm CO2. Your drop checker should be going green, and for a tank that size 5 bubbles per second sounds right for that amount.

What are you using in your drop checker?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dropping the pH with CO2 does not really change the water and does not harm fish.
Think about how you outgas your water if you prep it .The pH will shift as it realeses or absorbs CO2 /O2 but the physical Hardness does not ever really change . The gas just cause our test to read differently ..
Most running pressured CO2 drop their pH 1 point every day ..I did ..I took my 180 from 7.6 to 6.6 eveyday and back without issue ..
The drop checker not moving is indication of something not being proper .
The DC is supposed to be filled 4DKH solution and pH reagent to make water blue ..When the absorbs the gas it turns the blue to green just like in our pH test kits . It not moving means the KH is not correct in DC or the bubbles really are not being absorbed ..

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I feel like something is up with your drop checker... when’s the last time you changed the liquid in it? It loses accuracy every few months I’m pretty sure. What drop checker are you using/what liquid?

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Dropping the pH with CO2 does not really change the water and does not harm fish.
Think about how you outgas your water if you prep it .The pH will shift as it realeses or absorbs CO2 /O2 but the physical Hardness does not ever really change . The gas just cause our test to read differently ..
Most running pressured CO2 drop their pH 1 point every day ..I did ..I took my 180 from 7.6 to 6.6 eveyday and back without issue ..
The drop checker not moving is indication of something not being proper .
The DC is supposed to be filled 4DKH solution and pH reagent to make water blue ..When the absorbs the gas it turns the blue to green just like in our pH test kits . It not moving means the KH is not correct in DC or the bubbles really are not being absorbed ..
I believe 4dkh will be light green at about 30ppm...and I think that's what most of the ready to use drop checker liquids use. If you're aiming for lower then you may want to cut it with distilled water.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
GH and KH are different thing. Add a bit of crushed coral to your filter. One I general hardness and one is carbonate hardness. Carbonate hardness will keep your ph more stable. Although I don’t think the ph swing is alarming. It will just prevent further and more drastic ph swings.

OP
C

Crumpy141

Reaction score
HI everyone and thanks for all of the responses. Last night I got home from work and the drop checker had changed but not a massive amount and the PH was down to about 6.9. I am starting to think I am just not putting enough CO2 into this tank (Or it just isn't getting dissolved fast enough) so I have purchased an In-line reactor and am going to swap it out with the in tank diffuser.

I don't think that this can be attributed to the loss of fish so I may just have to put that down to poor stock, but thanks everyone for the responses :)

OP
C

Crumpy141

Reaction score
Doing a PH test run and I think nowhere near enough Co2 is being dissolved

7:00 - 7.18
11:00 - 7.27
12:00 - 7.29 - CO2 turns on
13:00 - 7.28
14:00 - 7.22 - Lights Turn on

I will keep on checking this hourly but my understanding is that by the time the lights come on, my PH tester should be much closer to about 6.8

OP
C

Crumpy141

Reaction score
Ok. I have added a co2 reactor and I am getting much better results however. I have just noticed that my ph monitor this morning read 7.09 and then, when I turned the light on it read 7.19.

Is this normal?? Seems very odd to me.

New Threads