Losing Cories

1. AQUA_LOVER

AQUA_LOVER Valued Member Member

I have been losing cories at an alarming rate. I put in about 6 pandas 2 and a half weeks ago and I now only have 2. I think that the second store I got them from had them infested with an internal parasite as they have been wasting away. I tried first levamisole about a week ago and I still had loses so I bought focus and metroplex and made some food to give the tanks. One cory went from fine and died overnight with no warning. As advised, I changed from gravel to sand and I am currently going through a mini cycle. And I have dosed with prime preemptively to handle any ammonia. Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

What are you feeding ?

3. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I don't have any advice for you :(, but I'm watching since I've gone through a similar issue with sterbais recently. Tagging @Jenoli42 also, who seemed to be having similar troubles.
    My thread here, since you might find similarities...
    Help - Sterbai Dying Off In Quarantine
    I never saw any outward signs of disease, but did see some behavioural cues, like loss of appetite, laboured breating, not very active. Are you seeing those things?
    I necropsied one dead sterbai and noted basically no blood or redness inside, even the gills. I also saw this a week or two later in a rummy nose tetra from the same tank, and am just putting it out there in the event that someone has a comment. When fish die, do they lose all blood colour quickly? In both cases (sterbai and rummy) I didn't get a chance to dissect until a few hours after death, but in both cases less than half a day.
    I hope you can figure out what's going on.

4. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

D: sounds like everyone's having issues with cories. 3 out of the 6 corries I just got and have in quarentine have died. One just disappeared and I have no idea how and can't find the body anywhere.

They went from okay to dead overnight. It's only been 5 days xP 6 of the fish we got from that store have died already so I think it's just cuz of how bad it was there

Still no clue what's going on to try and save the rest of the cories xP

5. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

A mixture of foods. Some flakes, some sinking pellets, some frozen shrimp, some "frog" pellets and even some algae wafers. There is no chance it is a food issue as far as I can tell. Besides, the wasting away is too fast to be just food.

6. DoubleDutch

Okay. I'd worm them.

7. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

That is my issue too... no idea what is happening, and I hate just medicating and hoping it works. But since the symptoms are pretty immediate (death) how do I tell if my medication is effective.

8. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

That was what the levamisole last week and the metroplex is for. Hoping that works.

9. DoubleDutch

Ahhh sorry missed that.

10. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

If you have any other suggestions I am happy to listen

11. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

You don't have any activated carbon, or Purigen in your filter, right?

I've read that parasite/worm treatments won't help after a certain level of internal damage has been sustained, which could be (part of) why we've all seen continued mortality. In other words, your treatment would cure early-minor-moderate infections, and obviously prevent new ones (at least within that treatment cycle), but if the infection has progressed to the point of organ failure, obviously that won't help. I presume that the smaller the fish, the faster the progress from infection to symptoms to death, no?

12. DoubleDutch

What exactly are frog pellets ?

13. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

I do normally have activated carbon in most of my tanks, but I always take it out for treatment as indicated on the packaging.

14. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

The frog pellets are leftover aquatic frog and tadpole food, that I still have after my clawed frog died.

They have quite a bit of fish meal in them.

15. DoubleDutch

mmmm okay trying to think about something that poissons them or so.
    Sonetimes wrong protein can cause issues, but this won't be the issue.

16. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

I am actually shocked as the platy that got sucked into the python is healing up fine, but these corys are not having a good go of it.

17. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

sorry team just catching up on this.

have you checked your nitrates? our sterbai all died when nitrates were between 20-40ppm which should be safe but...

you said you're having a mini cycle. how bad are your ammonia & nitrite? I saw you're using prime, but just curious :)

18. OP
    OP
    AQUA_LOVER

My ammonia and nitrites were just barely readable this morning. Nitrates stay between 5 and 10 ppm due to my plants. None of my readings were that high this morning. My mini cycle started yesterday due to a substrate change.

19. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

oh... that's not common ime- mini cycle with substrate change but I'm sorry it happened in your case.

thanks for that just wanted to rule out parameters.

we lost a total of 3 out of 10 sterbai while they were in QT. complete mystery.