Lose Lizards

TrainerRuby

Active Member
Member
Messages
219
Reaction score
14
Location
ohio united states
Do any of you guys let your lizards roam around out of the cage? Occasionally I lock my cats out of the room and let my grass lizards crawl around. They seem to enjoy it, roaming around crawling up pillows and the walls and getting to stretch their little legs
 

CatPlaysWithPets

Active Member
Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
15
TrainerRuby said:
Do any of you guys let your lizards roam around out of the cage? Occasionally I lock my cats out of the room and let my grass lizards crawl around. They seem to enjoy it, roaming around crawling up pillows and the walls and getting to stretch their little legs
Yes. It is actually healthier for them to not be stuck in their cage all their life
 

Nanologist

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,926
Reaction score
3,010
Location
Chicago
Experience
3 years
I had an iguana that I let roam the entire house daily for a few hours. My mom hated it. :hilarious:

I had a harness and leash for him and would bring him outside in the yard during the summer as well. Also, I'd fill up the tub and let him go swimming for a couple hours weekly.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,173
Reaction score
6,191
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
I don't have lizards, but I have hermit crabs.

I let them run outside for a little while, and also transfer them to their outdoor terrarium for a little while.
 

FishFish221

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,287
Reaction score
1,501
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
3 years
I never let my lizards out of their cage. Not because I don't want to, but because they can crawl under doors and take forever to find when they escape.
 

Nanologist

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,926
Reaction score
3,010
Location
Chicago
Experience
3 years
FishFish221 said:
I never let my lizards out of their cage. Not because I don't want to, but because they can crawl under doors and take forever to find when they escape.
Can't you just keep an eye on them?
Let one out at a time?
 

FishFish221

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,287
Reaction score
1,501
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
3 years
greenbonsai said:
Can't you just keep an eye on them?
Let one out at a time?
They are two long tailed lizards and an anole, and can't be kept in one room since they are small enough to go under doors. Catching them probably stresses them a lot too.
 

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,437
Reaction score
1,156
Experience
1 year
I have a space setup for my leopard gecko in our bedroom for him to explore once a night. I also change up the landscape as it were so it's like a new place, and new exploration opportunities so he doesn't get bored. I have pieces of wood, rocks, fake caves, and what not for this specific space. I like to keep Reggie, my lizard, out of his cage for at least 30 mins, it usually ends up being more then that. Now I do supervise him the entire time, and Reggie is a very friendly lizard so I often get some lizard pets in. He really loves it when I pet his head.
 

Nanologist

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,926
Reaction score
3,010
Location
Chicago
Experience
3 years
FishFish221 said:
They are two long tailed lizards and an anole, and can't be kept in one room since they are small enough to go under doors. Catching them probably stresses them a lot too.
I'm saying, can't you just take one out and follow him/her around? Even with the door open or guide him/her to stay in the room?

Even when my iguana was less than 6 inches I'd let him out and follow him around.
 

FishFish221

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,287
Reaction score
1,501
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
3 years
greenbonsai said:
I'm saying, can't you just take one out and follow him around? Even with the door open or guide him to stay in the room?
Problem is with the heavy furniture and the air vents on the floor (they could easily climb in).
 

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,437
Reaction score
1,156
Experience
1 year
FishFish221 said:
Problem is with the heavy furniture and the air vents on the floor (they could easily climb in).
Could you somehow wall them off in a space that they can walk in, such as a large container, make some walls out of cardboard, or even a large cardboard box? Just something they can walk around in that is larger then their cage with different toys and enrichment. I know anoles can be pretty skittish.
 

Nanologist

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,926
Reaction score
3,010
Location
Chicago
Experience
3 years
FishFish221 said:
Problem is with the heavy furniture and the air vents on the floor (they could easily climb in).
Oh I understand. Guess I've never had to worry about that since I can lift any furniture or close the air vents to prevent that.
 

FishFish221

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,287
Reaction score
1,501
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
3 years
clk89 said:
Could you somehow wall them off in a space that they can walk in, such as a large container, make some walls out of cardboard, or even a large cardboard box? Just something they can walk around in that is larger then their cage with different toys and enrichment. I know anoles can be pretty skittish.
Pretty sure they have enough space in their 90 gallon. The anole can climb glass and wood so I wouldn't be sure that would work.
 

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,437
Reaction score
1,156
Experience
1 year
FishFish221 said:
Pretty sure they have enough space in their 90 gallon. The anole can climb glass and wood so I wouldn't be sure that would work.
Oh yeah I wasn't trying to imply they didn't have enough space. I was simply trying to help you out with allowing them to move outside the cage is all. Anoles are fun to watch, I've thought about getting some myself.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
215
Guests online
3,161
Total visitors
3,376

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom