loosing my fish :(

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by shellbell4ever, Apr 1, 2010.

1. s

shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

I keep loosing my babies :( First I found my pretty blue guppy girl dead :( then another yellowish girl guppy and now tonight another one of my balloon mollies,she was hanging around the bottom all day so I put her in the breeder basket a couple hours later she's gone :( what gives :( :(
    ph 7.6
    nitrite 0
    ammonia 0
    nitrates 10-20
    temp 78
    It's been a few years since I've kept live bearers... but it's not all that different from Betta's or goldfish besides temps right,Could I have added to many fish too soon?I figured since the tank was already cycled (held goldfish previously)added a few within a couple of weeks would be ok ?

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Could be how the fish were acclimated, pH shock? If it was a too many too soon, you would see a spike in ammonia as the cycle starts failing.

3. OP
    OP
    s

I didn't even think of that?but didn't notice a spike in ammonia either?The fish were all acclimated slowly like I would any other fish,they all came from the same lps and the same water (ph )as me,as it's like 15 min walk from my house :)Could I have been cleaning the tank to much?I'v been cleaning the livebearer tank the same days as my goldfish tank(bare bottom)which is about every other day 50-75% but I only do about 25% on the live bearer tank...Hubby says I'm cleaning to much?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Aww, Shell, I'm so sorry. :(
    I think some times we get some little nasty in the tank and lose a few with no explanation.

Unless you're over stocked or your nitrates are spiking, weekly changes should be fine in the live bearer tank.

Good luck, I hope they feel better soon.

5. OP
    OP
    s

okey dokey then :) maybe I just got a bad batch :( or I am cleaning the live bearer tank to much (like hubby says)it will be hard... but I will only do it once a week (LOL) I'm a little ocd and can't stand the poops on my black gravel (LOL)

6. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

sorry for your losses

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice