loosing my fish :(

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by shellbell4ever, Apr 1, 2010.

1. shellbell4ever

shellbell4everWell Known MemberMember

I keep loosing my babies :( First I found my pretty blue guppy girl dead :( then another yellowish girl guppy and now tonight another one of my balloon mollies,she was hanging around the bottom all day so I put her in the breeder basket a couple hours later she's gone :( what gives :( :(
    ph 7.6
    nitrite 0
    ammonia 0
    nitrates 10-20
    temp 78
    It's been a few years since I've kept live bearers... but it's not all that different from Betta's or goldfish besides temps right,Could I have added to many fish too soon?I figured since the tank was already cycled (held goldfish previously)added a few within a couple of weeks would be ok ?

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Could be how the fish were acclimated, pH shock? If it was a too many too soon, you would see a spike in ammonia as the cycle starts failing.

3. OP
    OP
    shellbell4ever

I didn't even think of that?but didn't notice a spike in ammonia either?The fish were all acclimated slowly like I would any other fish,they all came from the same lps and the same water (ph )as me,as it's like 15 min walk from my house :)Could I have been cleaning the tank to much?I'v been cleaning the livebearer tank the same days as my goldfish tank(bare bottom)which is about every other day 50-75% but I only do about 25% on the live bearer tank...Hubby says I'm cleaning to much?

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Aww, Shell, I'm so sorry. :(
    I think some times we get some little nasty in the tank and lose a few with no explanation.

Unless you're over stocked or your nitrates are spiking, weekly changes should be fine in the live bearer tank.

Good luck, I hope they feel better soon.

5. OP
    OP
    shellbell4ever

okey dokey then :) maybe I just got a bad batch :( or I am cleaning the live bearer tank to much (like hubby says)it will be hard... but I will only do it once a week (LOL) I'm a little ocd and can't stand the poops on my black gravel (LOL)

6. wonton55912

wonton55912Valued MemberMember

sorry for your losses