Loop In Ventral Fin

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

One of my females has a cosmetic problem. One of her ventral fins are looped.

It’s straight for 2 mm and does a loop, then returns to straight.

It’s kinds hard to photograph as it’s late now and my betta is quick, but I shall try tomorrow.

So my question is, will it be harmful to do a cosmetic surgery and clip the ventral fin at the curled up area?
Should I do it?

Or should I let my betta live with it?

It doesn’t affect her quality of life in any way that I know of. It’s just kinda an eyesore to look at, but I will bear the pain if it causes my betta pain.

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There’s really isn’t a fix for curled fins. If you really wanted to you could clip it, but that would be counterproductive since it most likely won’t grow back. On the rare occasion that it does grow back, it certainly won’t be a long or full as the original fin. (Lol then you would have one that’s half the size.) So really, it up to you, but I would recommend leaving it alone.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

One of my females has a cosmetic problem. One of her ventral fins are looped.

It’s straight for 2 mm and does a loop, then returns to straight.

It’s kinds hard to photograph as it’s late now and my betta is quick, but I shall try tomorrow.

So my question is, will it be harmful to do a cosmetic surgery and clip the ventral fin at the curled up area?
Should I do it?

Or should I let my betta live with it?

It doesn’t affect her quality of life in any way that I know of. It’s just kinda an eyesore to look at, but I will bear the pain if it causes my betta pain.
Honestly if it's not affecting her life in any way then wouldn't recommend it. If you do, make sure to keep her in a tank that's heated, filtered and has salt and or a almond leaf + stress coat to reduce chance of bad bacteria getting in. Because once you clip that fin, that's just inviting bad bacteria to come in and attack. It's not super risky but there's still a chance with any physical damage done. If it's a cosmetic surgery then I would highly adivse against it because it causes unnecessary stress which can lead to infections and it's painful I suppose too, if it was to help her swim better then I'd say that's not bad idea. Whatever you do with it, good luck : )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom