Looks like I might have Ich in my 30 gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by annewaldron, Dec 19, 2012.

1. annewaldron

annewaldron Valued Member Member

I have
    10 flame tetras
    11 espei rasboras
    3 furcata rainbowfish
    2 otos
    4 amano shrimp
    2 nerite snails
    Planted tank

I noticed a white salt-grain spot on one of the rasboras two days ago, and now I'm noticing a spot on 2 of the rainbowfish.

So I'm betting on Ich.

I think once before, gosh it's been so long, I used something that had malachite green in it for Ich. I also remember raising the temperature to 84 or 85. And doing this for two weeks, I want to say

What's the best way to deal with Ich tank-wide with the inhabitants I have in there?

2. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Definately turn up the heat slowly to 86 degrees, normally I add aquarium salt but your snails and shrimp and otos will be sensitive. I just had a bit of ich my self and skipped the salt because of my cory cats and left the temperature 10 days after the spots were gone and it seemed to have done the trick.

3. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

While I've not dealt with Ick for many years (knock on wood), the consensus here seems to be, unless the case is very severe, and you are having fatalities, go with non-medicine approach. Slowly raise the temp, frequent and thorough gravel vacuums and water changes. Continue treatment for two weeks after symptoms clear.

There are directions here on the site somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

Edit:

Here you go, that was easy to find.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/105665-curing-ich-naturally.html

4. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

Yes! I remember reading this before.

I'm a bit worried about the mention of the tank cycling in that link. Would the raised temperature cause the good bacteria to die off and therefore cause a cycle?

5. L

No, the BB actually grow better/faster at the higher temps you will be using.

Not sure why the mention of the cycle, unless they are referring to the possibility that the cycle was lost or not complete when treatment was started, and contributed to the Ick. One would need to take precautions in this case, and would be dealing with both situations simultaneously.

While cycling a tank initially it is also recommended to raise the tank temperature to speed up the development of the BB.

6. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Please remember to add extra water movement in the form of an air stone,etc. Warmer waters deplete oxygen.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

My treatment for ICH without Medications w/100% survival rate:

Increase the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite, leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day. 2 degrees per hour should be fine.

Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line may help.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Make sure the new water is the same (86) temperature as what is in the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice onto the fish food 2 or 3 times each week will help to boost the fishes immune system. (link below for garlic juice):
    minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it
    Garlic Guard:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198657/product.web
    Making your own juice, recipe:
    "Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
    Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
    The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

It may take more than 1 try when using Garlic. If the fish ignore the foods soaked in garlic, try it again the next day. Be careful not to over feed your fish!

The information above comes from the link below:

Vita Chem (for additional vitamins) added to the fish food and directly into the tank will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/196391/product.web

It's been my experience that salt isn't necessary with the heat treatment.

ICH may appear to get worse, before it gets better. It may take several days before you see a decrease in the white spots/parasite.

It is not recommended to use the increased heat method along with medications. Choose 1 or the other. I only suggest medications if you are experiencing fish loss.

Once the ICH has been removed via the heat treatment, there is no need to treat again with medications. Remember you are trying to mimic a natural environment and the fewer chemicals and medications you use, the better off your fish are going to be.

Amphibians and Invertebrates are not susceptible to ICH.

I highly recommend Quarantine for all new fish:
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Quarantine!

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

The newest fish seem to be affected and they were in QT for 2 weeks with no signs of anything. Kind of funny that a week after going in this happened. :)

I have a question about the air stone. Should I leave it on constantly?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  9. L

Yes, I would. As was stated, the higher temperature of water allows less oxygen to be dissolved in the water. The difference can be substantial.

Adding the airstone, keeps the water circulating constantly. It's the water on the surface of the tank that absorbs the Oxygen from the air. The more frequently the water at the surface turns over, the more oxygen will be absorbed. The bubbles themselves do little or nothing as far as adding oxygen, their role is in lifting the water from the bottom of the tank to the surface where it can exchange gasses.

10. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

Reporting back with an update:

The tank has been at between 85.5 and 86 for the last five days. The original fish that had spots don't seem to anymore, but now some of the older fish have them. I did a thorough vacuum four days ago, and am doing another today. My particular struggle is that I've got a moderately planted tank with lots of nooks and crannies for spores to hide out.

Will keep fighting the good fight, but I'm kind of surprised that I'm still seeing spots on the fish. I guess I was under the impression that they would disappear after a few days.

11. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

Upon rereading this thread (Christmas craziness deleted it from my memory bank!), it appears this is going to be worse before it gets better. Which sounds like I'm right on track!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice