Looks like guppy body is shutting down

Ciderx

My guppy’s tail is turning black and his body is turning yellow. Do you know if it’s fatal and if there’s any remedies. Here’s some pictures down below. Thank you in advance
8DD8BF2E-EA8A-4087-BD65-EA92C1A9560D.jpeg

NearMeBettas

Hello and welcome to the forum! Sorry your guppy is sick.

Could you please copy and paste the emergency template onto ypur post an fill it out? It will help provide more information on your fish so we can better help it.

With the pic provided it looks like he has some sort of fungle infection, but more information would help on what meds/changes need to be applied. He also appears to have fin rot.

Ciderx

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallons
How long has the tank been running?5 months
Does it have a filter? Yes a cycled one and a sponge
Does it have a heater? Yea
What is the water temperature? 79-80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 4 males 6 females 2 neons 1 shrimp (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 40%
What do you use to treat your water? Topfin
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Kinda
What do you use to test the water? I don’t have a test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once per Day
How much do you feed your fish? For like 20 seconds
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra min tropical flakes
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 5 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Drooping body, fin rot
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I don’t know how, put like some salt
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? A little fin nibbled
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behavior seems to be more slow and appear

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Neons randomly started dropping due to ich. I believe some guppies have ich right now. I noticed this guppy and another guppy both have pretty severe fin rot and turning yellow.

I’m completely oblivious on what to do and how to treat it, if at all.
Thank you for helping me. Sorry if the details sound a bit rushed, heading to school atm.

NearMeBettas

Hello! Thx for filling the template out.

Not directly related to sick fish but I would change the diet. Tetra is a "Junk Food" brand. Omega 1, Northfin, and Fluvle are some better food brands. Frozen is also a good option. Fish like variety just like people. One thing I noticed right away is you have way to many males per female. You should have a 1 male to 2-3 female ratio to stop overbreeding in your girls and aggression in your males. You have plenty of room in your tanks, I would add 6 more female guppies once you get him feeling better. If you have a breeder net I would septate him in that or even better a quarantine tank, you don't want whatever he has spreading to your healthy fish or him to further get picked on. To me it looks like fin rot from being nipped, that will cause the droopy body and clamped fins. Stress can also cause discoloration or color loss. Personally I would treat him with API Fin and body Cure and APt Stress Coat. Also make sure water is pristine. You will need to test your water to check parameters. Most pet stores will test it for you for free. You can also buy less accrete test strips but I personally would just buy a test kit, then you will have it. How did you cycle your tank?

Ciderx

Hello! Thx for filling the template out.

Not directly related to sick fish but I would change the diet. Tetra is a "Junk Food" brand. Omega 1, Northfin, and Fluvle are some better food brands. Frozen is also a good option. Fish like variety just like people. One thing I noticed right away is you have way to many males per female. You should have a 1 male to 2-3 female ratio to stop overbreeding in your girls and aggression in your males. You have plenty of room in your tanks, I would add 6 more female guppies once you get him feeling better. If you have a breeder net I would septate him in that or even better a quarantine tank, you don't want whatever he has spreading to your healthy fish or him to further get picked on. To me it looks like fin rot from being nipped, that will cause the droopy body and clamped fins. Stress can also cause discoloration or color loss. Personally I would treat him with API Fin and body Cure and APt Stress Coat. Also make sure water is pristine. You will need to test your water to check parameters. Most pet stores will test it for you for free. You can also buy less accrete test strips but I personally would just buy a test kit, then you will have it. How did you cycle your tank?
Oh wow I never considered changing up the diet, seems really important. Unfortunately, I also believe it was fin rot cuz he passed away about an hour ago. Just for future uses, how would I go about fixing the nipped fins on top of the added medications cuz that seems like an environment thing or was it because of the amount of males in the tank? Tbh, after this large die off of fish from disease, I made it a priority to get some sort of water testing; idk why I never did it from the beginning. When I first got my tank, I put a few feeder minnows in it for a couple of months and once It felt ready, I went to the store and started with neons for a couple of weeks and then guppies.

Also, I seem to have fixed the ich problem (dont wanna jinx it tho) by adding aquarium salt and doing a hefty water change. Hopefully all that I have to worry about is this fungal disease and fin rot.

Thank you so much for helping me :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• GoldenKillifish
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views