looks its a plant!

1. beckers4oranges Member Member

ok few questions

1...what type of plant is this...im guessing java fern

2...is this plant trying to root or something?

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That is a sword plant. The one floating appears to be still attached to the mother plant. Just clip it off and plant it.
    Carol

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, that's the Amazon Sword. I have one exactly like yours (well, a couple of Amazon Swords).

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

P.S. I have to warn you that it will grow VERY slowly under standard lighting. And to grow well it needs higher light output. On my Amazon Swords some leaves fade away regularly and I have to cut them off. I believe this is because of the fact that my light is way too low for Amazon Swords (I have a 20W bulb over a 30G tank).

5. beckers4oranges Member Member

i have sunlight that can get in a couple of windows...this picture was taken during the night
    and i have 2 40W balbs i think

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

I also think i have the same plant which was dying earlier last year but with the new lights is making a spirited comeback

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

beckers4oranges you really want to keep a check on your water temperature if the sun shines on your tank at all, and it will also encourage algae.
    Roots tabs under the sword plant will help it grow also as it's a heavy feeder.
    Carol

8. beckers4oranges Member Member

the sun isnt hot enough in montana right now to heat a fish tank in a house hold...

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

cool!! but sun shining through glass is usually warm at anytime of the year ;)
    just thought I'd mention it :D
    Carol

10. beckers4oranges Member Member

humm you have a point...the window is across the room and is an east facing window...so it only get direct sunlight in the early a.m.

so im thinkin that should be ok?

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

since it's an east facing window will probably be ok. Just keep a check on it, make the worry wart (me) happy ;)
    Carol

12. beckers4oranges Member Member

all right ill keep ya in check...i researched it a little today and the plant is actually a melon sword... of the amazon sword desent...