Looking to vary my fish's diets!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RACGuitar, Jul 3, 2015.

1. RACGuitarNew MemberMember

I have a pretty varied tank and thought I should take this question to the forms to make sure I get the best answer possible (I trust you guys (and gals, english and its lack of gender neutral words).

Right now I am just feeding them Tropical Fish Flakes by National Geographic. This is what the "Big Chains" said would be great to feed my fish, but I am now learning that a more varied diet is much better. So with my stock of fish, what would be some good options, please be specific! (For example please don't just say veggies) And also, if my flake food is not suitable for the healthiness of my fish, a replacement suggestion would be very appreciated!

I am very under-educated on the feeding part of fish so all help is appreciated!

Tank Stock:
    Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus)
    Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
    Dalmatian Molly (Poecilia latipinna hybrid)
    Molly (Poecilia sphenops)
    Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
    Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus minor)
    Rainbow Shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum)
    Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
    Geophagus Red Head Tapajos (Geophagus sp Red Head Tapajos)

Thanks in advance
    Randy

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

3. GeoffreyWell Known MemberMember

The brands I like are New Life Spectrum (I've seen it at multiple LFS so maybe it depends on the seller and/or location?), Omega One, and Hikari.

You could also feed frozen/live (I wouldn't get freeze-dried) daphnia, brine shrimps, bloodworms, and black worms. These should be fed as treats, so only 2-3 times a week.

4. OP
    OP
    R

RACGuitarNew MemberMember

Are these flakes suitable for an every morning diet? Or should there be something else I should be feeding them to add diversity.

By the way, I do drop in an algae pellet for my cory's and loaches.

Thanks for the help on getting new flakes.
    Randy

Edit: Sorry did not see the second part of Geoffrey 's post. This is exactly what I was wondering, but didn't want to do without making sure first. I have frozen bloodworms. I will try to put them in my tank tomorrow

Thanks so much! Randy

5. GeoffreyWell Known MemberMember

If you pick one of NLS (mostly sell pellets), Omega One (mostly flakes, but also some pellets), or Hikari (mostly wafers or pellets) they can be fed as the fish's staple diet. Of course, buying more than one (or even more than one within the brand) won't hurt.

Most of the variety, in my opinion, comes from the treats; the frozen or live foods.

6. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

Here's my thought's. put yourself in place of the fish and would you enjoy what your getting for food. How does it smell? Can you imagine the taste? Or, like I've done, taste it and if it made me gag from smell or taste there was no way I fed it to the community and I've tossed many of brand just for this reason alone. That for me is the first starting point. Each species has a certain food that's native to them and finding a happy medium can be daunting, but not impossible. In my community tank they are fed 2 foodstuffs 1 time a day. Hikari brand frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp w/spirulina and once a week an algae pellet. I have not only fish, but a variety of shrimps as well in my 55g O2A tank.

There's lot of brands with everyone tooting theirs is the best, but listen to many of the breeders and see what they feed many of their brood. My personal choice is Hikari for all the foods whether it be dry or frozen especially my koi. My koi also get fresh fruit such as ripe watermelon and cantaloupe and veggies such as garden greens (lettuce, spinach, broccoli sprouts and top greens) from my garden only. Hikari is used by many of the top koi breeders around the world. I've tried many others and yes, even fish have a taste for fine foods. So, bottom line is it's up to you, the fish you keep and simply giving them the best food within your means.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I dont really like Hikari, they use a lot of fillers such as wheat flour and wheat germ, gluten meal etc.

8. thefishdude277

thefishdude277Well Known MemberMember

Hikari is fine
    They don't use as much filler as Tetra does ;)

:)

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Right, Tetra and Aqueon use a lot of fillers. the WORST offender is Wardley's... pure junk. No thanks I do not want to kill my dog off with Ol Roy's, same as I dont want to do the same to my fish.

10. Dadio

Not rightly so, but to each their own as we say. In each dry food stuff of every brand we could rightly center out things we don't like, but that's not the point in general, it's how the food ensures a healthy stock that's vibrant with vitality that I as a keeper want and my stock requires.

One thing I will contest to about hikari is the superior growth and health all my stock have. I'm no expert in this hobby, but one thing I can well say is I've never had any of the typical issues I hear many having, whether it be water quality or sickness. AND, I definitely don't follow the rules when it comes to this hobby. I also note that I don't require to feed them more than once a day using hikari. I've also gone more than a day missing feedings with no issues or skinny fish. Yes there's fillers, in every food stuff there is, least not let us start on the food chains we humans feed upon lol

With hikari there are many levels, all depends what you require and what your budget is. They also make use of a pro-biotic   and other elements giving stock strong immunities, color and vitality. The link is in reference to koi foods, but it is found in all the foods they make. Even when a whole 5lb bag of food dumped into the pond there was no major water issue other than a lot of fish not very hungry for a few days. When my koi have injured themselves their healing turnaround is very rapid which I attest to being that of the benefits of hikari foods, even in the poorest water conditions my koi stock faced, they remained healthy. Same goes for my other freshwater stock. I've tried other foods, some are real bad, many others I have nothing to say other than the smells tell me a lot and my stock tells me the rest.

11. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

12. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

I personally think variety is the best. I rotate flakes, pellets, wafers, and frozen. The only thing I avoid is freeze dryed. I also use Hikari, Omega One, and Tetra brands.

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What's wrong with freeze dried?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. GeoffreyWell Known MemberMember

Freeze dried contains a lot of air and can cause bloat. When I used it and tried soaking it, I was unsuccessful. The freeze dried bloodworms just refused to soak!

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'm finding a lot of my fish don't really like freeze-dried bloodworms. It usually sits for awhile before it gets eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Hikari is junk, but you can get NLS and Omega One at Petco.

17. Dadio

Whoa, like how old are you?

Guess we can say all the food we feed them that is dry is junk because in reality, they ALL are junk. Only good food for any species is what is found in nature, by nature, of course if your a monsanto junkie that it really doesn't matter does it :(

If it doesn't work for you it does not mean it's junk. Maybe how your using is the junk part. That's a typical comment from someone that has no clue what their talking about and that really irks me.

On another point, I, and many top koi breeders and others use it and are very happy with it and the quality of our koi and other stock well show the proof that it is a good food staple and has proven it's place. In fact, one of the finest koi breeds in the world are Hikaris and where do you think this brand came from? So once again, prove your claims or keep it to the peanut gallery.

To say something is junk, back your claim up with solid scientific proof and keep ill-sighted comments where they belong, in your pocket.:mad:

18. Dadio

Agreed on that if it's freeze-dried, but pure flash frozen is gobbled up by all my stock, from tetras to gobies, all of the varied species in my 55g eat every little tibit of the hikari frozen foods I give them. I let them thaw out covered for about 20 to 30 minutes and feed give it to them with tweezers. Even my hillside loaches come in for the feast.

19. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

wheat is listed as the #2 item on the Hikari ingredient list unlike the other 2 I listed. You can't compare what carp eat to what tropicals eat. And no I'm not a child, been doing this for a long time. And I'll admit I used to feed Hikari to my guys, but that was before I found NLS and Omega One. There are other foods out there that are just as good as the foods I listed but they aren't available in my area atm.

20. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

You can also soak the food in Garlic Guard before to make it tastier and more nutritious. Sammy is very passionate about her Garlic Guard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice