looking to upgrade lighting 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by gavins1dad, Mar 31, 2010.

1. gavins1dadNew MemberMember

Looking to upgrade my lighting curently have a 17w bulb. What should I do if I want to keep my hood for under a hundred bucks I currently have 5 java ferns 2 anubias eyes and about 5 bertti. Sorry dant know correct spelling for that. Water perimeters are great. I have a sand gravel substrate mix. I prefer to have something that won't stand up over my tank. Like the ones with brackets.
    Thanks for all help.

Gavins1dad.

2. Tanman19azValued MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    g

gavins1dadNew MemberMember

Well I've found a all glass hood from my lfs. I've also found on tscpet.com a 24" 65 watt aquarium light that has a fan and a lunar light or moon light. They have a lot of different sizes and everyting

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the site!

Getting a glass top really opens up your lighting options.

5. compuphones

compuphonesNew MemberMember

Hi I had the same problems look in DIY section for Perfect light and you will see what i came up with may help may not.

6. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Tanman, I'd get rid of your mondo grass. It's not a true aquatic plant, but rather a bog plant. It'll last a little while underwater, but after a few months it'll just melt and die.

As for upgrading the lighting...I put the 36" 60W fixture from my 46gal bowfront on my son's 29gal for while and it did great. If you want T5 lighting (which is generally recommended for plants, but not absolutely necessary), there are models that don't require the brackets. I'm pretty sure Coralife makes one that doesn't require brackets. Not sure about cost, but I know I can get a 48" Coralife T5 fixture from my LFS for $65 (in fact, that's what I'm getting for my 55gal at the end of the month).

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fish Lore Gavins1Dad.

I hope you enjoy the site.
    Ken

8. Tanman19azValued MemberMember

Ok bassbonediva, thanks for the tip! Petsmart was selling it at $1.99 and it looks pretty sweet, but that means I 'll have more room for other plants

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice