29 Gallon Tank looking to upgrade lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavins1dad

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looking to upgrade my lighting curently have a 17w bulb. What should I do if I want to keep my hood for under a hundred bucks I currently have 5 java ferns 2 anubias eyes and about 5 bertti. Sorry dant know correct spelling for that. Water perimeters are great. I have a sand gravel substrate mix. I prefer to have something that won't stand up over my tank. Like the ones with brackets.
Thanks for all help.

Gavins1dad.

OP
G

gavins1dad

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well I've found a all glass hood from my lfs. I've also found on tscpet.com a 24" 65 watt aquarium light that has a fan and a lunar light or moon light. They have a lot of different sizes and everyting

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread...I'm also looking for better lighting. I have mondo grass, micro sword grass, java fern, anubias, and wisteria in my 29 gal
Tanman, I'd get rid of your mondo grass. It's not a true aquatic plant, but rather a bog plant. It'll last a little while underwater, but after a few months it'll just melt and die.

As for upgrading the lighting...I put the 36" 60W fixture from my 46gal bowfront on my son's 29gal for while and it did great. If you want T5 lighting (which is generally recommended for plants, but not absolutely necessary), there are models that don't require the brackets. I'm pretty sure Coralife makes one that doesn't require brackets. Not sure about cost, but I know I can get a 48" Coralife T5 fixture from my LFS for $65 (in fact, that's what I'm getting for my 55gal at the end of the month).

Tanman19az

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok bassbonediva, thanks for the tip! Petsmart was selling it at $1.99 and it looks pretty sweet, but that means I 'll have more room for other plants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom