Looking To Upgrade Canisters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Zorro A. Knievel Esq., May 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM.

1. Zorro A. Knievel Esq.Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my current canister filter on my 75 gallon. I'm currently running a Marineland Magniflow 360 that I'd like to give to my mom, she's been running the same Penguin 350 for YEARS on a 55 gallon that has seen better days.

I'm having trouble deciding between the Eheim Pro 4+ 600 and they Hydor Pro 600. I've been watching and reading a lot of reviews, now I'm stuck. Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these two filters? I'm also open to any and all suggestions besides these two filters.

2. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Maybe you missed this video the last few days on Eheim Pro 4's. Suggest you watch this first.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 8:59 PM
  3. Zorro A. Knievel Esq.Valued MemberMember

That was literally the next video I was about to watch. I did read a review on Amazon from somebody who apparently actually measured the flow rate of the Eheim and only measured 90 gph which kind of made me leery. I think I remember reading on here in a post that the flow rates listed on Hydor's boxes are the true flow rates with the media in, don't know if that's true or not.

4. FalionysNew MemberMember

Don't have any experience with those specifically, but I do have the Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic. Apart from being a little be noisy I have really enjoyed it. Now it doesn't have any trays so you can literally pack as much media as you want and use other media to create layers if you want. Now since it doesn't have trays it does take slightly longer for maintenance, but I don't mind it. Good luck on your search. My favorite of my filters thou is my fluval fx4, but it may be a tad bit to strong for 75g. I love it because it make water changes a breeze.

5. Zorro A. Knievel Esq.Valued MemberMember

I'm kicking myself for not grabbing an FX4 or FX6 when I had the chance... A local guy had like 15 of them brand new, in box, in his garage that he was selling on Craigslist for $200 and $250...

6. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

The Hydor is a good unit. I think @Islandvic uses one of those. I would look at Amazon for only 4 star and above rated canister filters like Sunsun and Polar Aurora. I use a Sunsun 370 gph for the past 7+ years with no issues at all. Also have a Tidal 75 HOB running.

7. Zorro A. Knievel Esq.Valued MemberMember

Fluval FX4s and FX6s are on sale at my local Petsmart, I think I've made my decision.

8. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I was just about to mention that if you seen that thread. Good luck with it.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@Zorro A. Knievel Esq. , you had asked about Hydor 600's.

I have owned one for a about a year.

I have had zero problems with it and the 5 trays hold a lot of media.

I bought it on sale for $105. I'm not sure what they sell for now because the Hydor canisters are not that common for some reason.

If you can pick one up for that price or close to it, that's a deal.

If your interested in the FX4/6's at Petsmart, then you're budget is in the $200-$250 range.

If that is the case, may I suggest taking a look at Liveaquaria.com's sale on the   for $207 and the   for $246. I linked it to site, they are not forum auto generated links to Amazon you usually see.

Coincidently I emailed Eheim a couple of days ago about those models, and they responded saying those 2 models are still in current production. Since there is not a Pro 4 series equivalent with similar capacity and pump volume, Eheim still makes the large Pro 3 models.

Customer service also said they have 3-year warranties and all the Pro 3 parts are readily available, if gaskets, seals, o-rings, connectors, etc need to be replaced

I had asked customer service some questions because earlier in the week, that same website I linked too had a promo of $50 store credit with purchases $199 or more. It ended today, but I have a feeling it will return soon since Memorial Day is approaching.

The 2078 has electronic flow control, that can be slowed during feeding and has optional 12hr timer, so the flow can be adjusted different for 12hr intervals. For example a high flow during the day and low or medium flow at night.

2078 holds 8qts of media and 2080 (1200xl) 12 quarts of media, not including the 0.5qt volume internal coarse foam pre-filter.

Both models have a large void space at the bottom below the first tray, that you can throw bio-balls, cut up pieces of foam sponge or cheap ceramic rings down into. Some people do this because it acts as a coarse mechanical filtration before the water flows up through the trays.

Or as @Cichlidude and Ben Ochart say, dont fear the SunSun !

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 3:13 PM
  10. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

With the money I saved buying a Sunsun... I bought a boat.

11. Zorro A. Knievel Esq.Valued MemberMember

The price on the Sunsuns is hard to beat. I have a 603b running on my 10 gallon planted tank and it keeps the water crystal clear. I think I paid $25 for it. If im not mistaken, the Sunsuns, Magniflows, and I think Polar Auroras are all actually the same except for cosmetics.

12. JonJalNew MemberMember

I have a hydor 600 in my 120gallon and works beautifully. Very quiet with excellent flow. My impeller failed after 17 months of constant use. ($38) I also have a Sunsun 304B in my 75gallon and while not as quiet as the Hydor it does a very good job and parts are much cheaper compared to the Hydor but have experienced no issues. I haven't purchased an Eheim but through ALOT of research I see mostly great reviews. I think it pretty much comes down to your budget.

13. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@JonJal , what happened with the impeller?

I ask, so I can be aware of possible future problems on my 600.

Thanks

14. JonJalNew MemberMember

I ordered 2 impellers from marineandreef.com (one for future backup) I was doing a water change and trimming some plants back and removed the intake sponge before i had unplugged the Hydor canister and think i may have sucked up a few pieces of gravel causing the impeller to break.i normally do not remove that sponge until after im completely finished with my maintenance but for some dumb reason i did...lol. I highly reccomend the Hydor though. I have had no other issues other than this. My buddy has one also and he loves his too. I cannot believe how quiet it is and is very user friendly. I don't see any future problems.

15. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Awesome , thanks .

The only problem I had, was that I didnt buy 2 when I had the chance when I found them on clearance last year.!

16. PatricNew MemberMember

Those are the current PetSmart sale prices for the FX4 and FX6 respectively.

17. Zorro A. Knievel Esq.Valued MemberMember

Yea I know, I just found out yesterday after going to PetSmart. I posted another post telling everyone the heads up.