looking to stock my 75 gallon aquarium 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hypeir, Jul 9, 2015.

1. H

Hypeir New Member Member

Hi,
    I'm looking to stock my aquarium
    I'm definitely interested in owning a tiger oscar.
    I also saw a needle-gar at my LFS and i was wondering if they would make good tank mates?
    Anyways here's my stocking idea:
    3 pictus catfish
    1 tiger oscar
    1 needle gar

I'd like some imput, thanks!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Pictus catfish are schooling fish and need to be in a group of six or more. Oscars are aggressive and they need to be with other semi-aggressive fish.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Hypeir New Member Member

ok? Is a gar not an aggressive fish?
    what would you reccomend as a replacement for the pictus catfish, or can my tank handle 6?

4. Dom90

Yes your tank can easily handle 6 pictus. But I wouldnt get an oscar, they are African cichlids that have different pH requirements than most other fish. Gars I'm not too sure of, Anders247 or hampalong may be able to help you.

5. OP
    OP
    H

Hypeir New Member Member

Having oscars is the main reason i purchased the aquarium. My PH is around 7.8 from the tap and about 8 in the tank

6. Dom90

Ok then you're looking at an all-African cichlid tank. You really cant have any community fish in there. LeoDiaz Chris99 and hampalong are the go-to guys for that. Even I'm still learning from them regarding African cichlids lol.

7. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

If you want a african cichlid tank i can tell you how to make it but its up to you.

8. OP
    OP
    H

Hypeir New Member Member

Ok, thankyou!

9. Dom90

His primary focus are oscars, he mentioned this before.

10. LeoDiaz

Oscars are not africans so i cant help there.

11. OP
    OP
    H

Hypeir New Member Member

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm pretty sure gars are too big for a 75, and oscars are definitely too big for a 75.

13. Dom90

Sorry I was confusing them with mbuna lol...

14. Dom90

Pea Gravel will not work with any cichlids.. they prefer fine sand or aragonite.

15. OP
    OP
    H

Hypeir New Member Member

Ok, then it's back to the drawing board lol

16. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

In a 75 gallon tank, an Oscar can't really have any tankmates. A single tiger oscar will fully stock the tank.

17. Chris99

Chris99 Well Known Member Member

I'm not familiar with needle nose gar. Oscars are actually South American and tend to do well if not overcrowded. They will typically eat any fish that will fit in their mouth though. Pictus cats may not be safe with and oscar. In a 75 the oscar should be fine but you are limited on tank mates. Anything large enough to not eventually become lunch would probably overload the tank. Maybe a small school of silver dollars or single catfish that gets to the 10-12" range.

18. LeoDiaz

What kind cichlid are you talking about cause many ppl use gravel for bigger SA cichlids but for some cichlid sand is a must. Like africans eartheater etc.

19. OP
    OP
    H

Hypeir New Member Member

Ok so maybe an oscar and a pleco?

20. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Oscars, I've read, get 14-18 inches, which is way too big to be in a 18 inch wide tank (which is what a 75 is), imo.

That would depend on the type of pleco.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice