75 Gallon Tank looking to stock my 75 gallon aquarium

Hypeir

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,
I'm looking to stock my aquarium
I'm definitely interested in owning a tiger oscar.
I also saw a needle-gar at my LFS and i was wondering if they would make good tank mates?
Anyways here's my stocking idea:
3 pictus catfish
1 tiger oscar
1 needle gar

I'd like some imput, thanks!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pictus catfish are schooling fish and need to be in a group of six or more. Oscars are aggressive and they need to be with other semi-aggressive fish.

Hypeir

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok? Is a gar not an aggressive fish?
what would you reccomend as a replacement for the pictus catfish, or can my tank handle 6?

Hypeir

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Having oscars is the main reason i purchased the aquarium. My PH is around 7.8 from the tap and about 8 in the tank

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok then you're looking at an all-African cichlid tank. You really cant have any community fish in there. LeoDiaz Chris99 and hampalong are the go-to guys for that. Even I'm still learning from them regarding African cichlids lol.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you want a african cichlid tank i can tell you how to make it but its up to you.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm pretty sure gars are too big for a 75, and oscars are definitely too big for a 75.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In a 75 gallon tank, an Oscar can't really have any tankmates. A single tiger oscar will fully stock the tank.

Chris99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not familiar with needle nose gar. Oscars are actually South American and tend to do well if not overcrowded. They will typically eat any fish that will fit in their mouth though. Pictus cats may not be safe with and oscar. In a 75 the oscar should be fine but you are limited on tank mates. Anything large enough to not eventually become lunch would probably overload the tank. Maybe a small school of silver dollars or single catfish that gets to the 10-12" range.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In a 75 gallon tank, an Oscar can't really have any tankmates. A single tiger oscar will fully stock the tank.
I'm not familiar with needle nose gar. Oscars are actually South American and tend to do well if not overcrowded. They will typically eat any fish that will fit in their mouth though. Pictus cats may not be safe with and oscar. In a 75 the oscar should be fine but you are limited on tank mates. Anything large enough to not eventually become lunch would probably overload the tank. Maybe a small school of silver dollars or single catfish that gets to the 10-12" range.
Oscars, I've read, get 14-18 inches, which is way too big to be in a 18 inch wide tank (which is what a 75 is), imo.

That would depend on the type of pleco.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom