Looking To Plant A 10 Gal. Tank

1. c

claudiamae New Member Member

I've recently gotten a 10 gal and I'm planning on planting it, with anubias nana and java fern. Plus a moss ball or two.

I plan to keep either a betta and rcs, or a betta and a few (female) guppies. Depending on how aggressive the betta is, and if rcs need more plants? (I'm not sure if the anubias/java fern and other hides is enough for them.) I'd like to keep all three but I'm not sure if there's enough space, or if I'm able to keep shrimp with the plants I want. Advice?

I'm also unsure of what lighting I'll need for the plants.

One last thing, does anyone have any fertilizer recommendations?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

What about
    1 Betta
    10 Amano or 15 Red Cherries
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    3 Female guppys
    10 Amano or Red cherries
    2 Nerite Snails

3. OP
    OP
    c

I have a 5.5 gal as well. Would one of those work in that tank? That way I can have guppies and a betta? If I do separate them I'd like males instead too

4. Kenny777

For the 5.5 you could do
    1 Betta
    5 Amano Shrimp or red cherries
    1 Nerite Snail

Males can get aggressive so stick with females IMO but you could do something else instead of guppys

For the 10gallon you could do
    2 Peacock Gudgeons
    10 Amano or red cherry shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    3 Dwarf Puffers
    OR
    8 Celestrial Pearl Danios
    10 Amano or Red Cherries
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    3 Endlers
    10 Amano or Red Cherries
    2 Nerite Snails

5. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you!

Thank you!! Some of these I barely know anything about. I'll continue research :)

6. Kenny777

Or more options would be a pair of German Blue rams or a pair of Bolivian Rams. Another option would be a Scarlet Badis tank, not sure how much.

Your welcome
    No problem and good luck researching :)

If you throw some snails with the dwarf puffer it is cool to watch them eat the snails. They do require a planted tank so talk to @KinsKicks about the plants and @BeanFish about the root tabs :) good luck

Never mind I see you got plants :) I missed that :p For lighting do some Led's maybe optibrights

7. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Definitely can't keep any kind of ram in a 10 gallon.

8. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Dwarf puffers are cool; but they can hard to feed; for the beginner I do recommend giving them 10g and a 5g for each extra puffer.

And rams won't fit in a 10g :)

As for plants, I'm not the best with the details (I'm more of an aquascaper/designer, and only really know the basics) BUT I shall call my friend @Meowmy, she's a plant care goddess :)

9. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Moss, lots of moss. It offers a lot of cover, and will give the shrimp lots of plants to graze biofilm off of. Java is pretty easy to find, but I prefer the look of Christmas and Willow moss. Even then, if you get a determined betta it's probably going to eat all of them eventually. All they have to do all day is sit around a wait for one of them to stick their heads out.

As for lighting, the cheapest and most effective low (maybe medium? depends of water depth) lighting I've found is a desk lamp or shop light with a daylight colored (6500k or higher) compact florescent bulb. I have a 3 gallon planted bowl that's a jungle of mosses and crypts with just a desk lamp over it.

If you stick to low-light slow-growing plants like you already have, fertilizers might not be necessary. If you get plants that feed from the roots, I'd suggest using a few of Seachem's root tabs. If you go with some faster growing water column feeders, I'd suggest trying a bottle of NilocG Thrive.

If you're looking for stocking tips, there are sticky threads on 5 and 10 gallon tanks here: Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums and here: Stocking options for 10 gallons

10. Kenny777

I've heard rams would be okay in a 10g but I must of mistaken my bad :confused:

Are my other suggestions fine?

11. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

Hoi (lol)

Don't want to regurgitate info - I whole-heartedly agree with everything @Briggs said!

Other fantastic low-light plants include things like rotalas, hornworts and (dwarf) sags. :)

12. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

Thanks, she is my fluffy pride and joy. :D

13. Kenny777

She makes me smile when I see her! But back on the plant topic....

14. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

Oh, this tip just came to mind. If you decide to get a betta and want to check their temperament, you can hold their container up to other bettas and see what their reaction is. Aggressive bettas may flare and go crazy while more laid-back ones may be chill. :)

15. Kenny777

Or you could do the pocket mirror tactic which is basically the same thing :p

16. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I have rcs with my bettas, three different tanks. One leaves them alone completely, one snacks on the shrimplets, one hunts them all... however, if you have a large enough colony it will survive with tons of plant cover...
    If you do the ten with the endlers and shrimp, and the five with the betta, you can always add shrimp from the ten into the five to replenish the colony.