Looking to identify this snail

TwiTch18

Hello there,

I was doing some tank maintenance tonight and I came across two small snails.. I believe they came from a local pet store's water lettuces I bought a while back (has since been removed).
I was hoping someone could help me identify them and maybe let me know a bit about them?

Thanks in advance PXL_20210622_062951727.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210622_063121002.jpg
    PXL_20210622_063121002.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210622_063025400.jpg
    PXL_20210622_063025400.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 15

carsonsgjs

Look like bladder snails to me. Very quick to multiply so odds are there are more on their way unless you remove them. Pest snails arent all that bad though - they do have their benefits when their population is kept under control.

Upvote 0

Yeoy

If you can see 2 there is probably 10. They can be prolific in an unbalanced tank (e.g. overfeeding) but otherwise they're a fairly normal part of most tanks and help in moving your substrate and eating waste.

If you're worried you can physically remove them (sooner the better, before they start to breed). Otherwise just keep an eye on the numbers and if you notice a boom, can be a sign to reduce feeding amount.

Upvote 0

TwiTch18

Thank you for your comments and knowledge! I've removed them from my community tank and put them in my unheated crayfish tank. I figured they would be eaten or might die from temp but I came home today to see them both still alive. I guess they can just be cleanup crew from Simon ha

Upvote 0

Amatyi1

Hello there,

I was doing some tank maintenance tonight and I came across two small snails.. I believe they came from a local pet store's water lettuces I bought a while back (has since been removed).
I was hoping someone could help me identify them and maybe let me know a bit about them?

Thanks in advanceView attachment 797594
It's hard to tell from the pictures but I think they are Malaysian trumpet snails. I used to work at an lfs and we would get them in our deliveries.

Upvote 0

TwiTch18

If you can see 2 there is probably 10. They can be prolific in an unbalanced tank (e.g. overfeeding) but otherwise they're a fairly normal part of most tanks and help in moving your substrate and eating waste.

If you're worried you can physically remove them (sooner the better, before they start to breed). Otherwise just keep an eye on the numbers and if you notice a boom, can be a sign to reduce feeding amount.

You were certainly right about the vast majority being hidden... A few weeks later and I'm beginning to see the baby snails everywhere..

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom