looking to buy night crawlers

1. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Anyone have any websites that sells them in larger amounts?
    Wal-Mart & Stewarts do not sell them around me.
    If someone has a bait shop around them that sells earthworms, I'd be interested in an arrangement to have them sent to me.

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Check out Planetnatural.com
    They do natural/organic farming and living, and one of their big deals is that they promote worms as trash-eaters and compost-makers. They usually have some type of earthworm (not sure if they're night-crawlers, though) for sale. Also not sure if they'll ship live critters to NY during winter months, but maybe they do the heat pack thing.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Hi amanda!! ive moved your thread to the proper section ...

also, you can use meal worms and wax worms for the winter months... but in the spring, you will have plenty of night crawlers im sure...

4. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I thought I had it in the fish food section...
    Meal/Wax worms are too fatty as a regular diet I read.
    This is really for my Knife fish...I need something to stimulate it to eat.
    Caroline Biological Supply Comp. sells them, but they're very expensive.
    But that may be my only choice, I'm probably just going to breed & raise them myself once I find them.

5. Sonfish Member Member

We have them here, They come like 12 or 18 in a tub, not sure how many you want. If ya like I would be more than happy to send ya some,not sure what would be the best way to send them tho, I would imagine over night express?
    If ya know anyone in NC we used to catch them by the bucket (5 gal) and sell them to bait distributors. might be too cold up in the mountains to catch them now tho unless they have a couple of warmer nights...

6. eiginh Well Known Member Member

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

is he in your big tank? if so, he wont ever come out to eat....they are too peaceful and submissive for a tank with the fish you have in there :(

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, he's in my large tank. I have floating plants in there, and he hangs out at the top in them.
    I did research & a lot of sites said that they do fine with American Cichlids. I have a feeling he'll do better once he's a bit bigger. My main worry is getting him to eat! I may move him to my 29 temporarily until he gets a little bigger

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I dont think they can keep up with oscars and parrots..and cons will do him in IMO ..id definitely move him to a tank of his own for now...

10. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe tomorrow I'll move him to the 29.
    If I ever set up the 55 again, he can go in there with some Angels & guppies.

11. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Somtimes Gas station carry them.

Hope that helps :)

12. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Everyone says no night crawlers until summer. :(

13. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Go out in your garden, clear a fair sized patch of soil, lay either clear or black plastic over it. Let it sit for a couple of sunny days. As the sun goes down each evening, go out and lay a rug or a layer of straw or mulch over the plastic, then take it off once the sun is up in the morning. This will mimic spring and may bring worms closer to the surface. Then you can dig them up and keep some inside. Put them in a 5 gallon bucket with some nice loose soil, toss them a bit of vegetation once in a while, and keep them fairly warm. You'll end up with a full bucket of worms.

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Red Wigglers do great for composting. (just thought I'd throw that in there) Great information from Gremlin!
    Ken

15. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I'll have to dig out our worm cookie recipe - back from the days when we actually "farmed" worms. We had a bunch of worm beds and everything.

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I keep a 55g drum for composting. It can be full, throw in a hand full of red wigglers and all of the fresh veggies (scraps) are gone in a week! Hungry little boogers!
    Ken