Looking to build a 15-20k gallon

H Farnsworth

I’m looking for some advice on ponds. I can do aquariums no problem and have access to the water for a massive pond. I also have the space and cash to get the stuff I need just looking for some knowledge to be passed on.

Myyyman

It's not really any harder. Obviously you can't put some types of fish in there and I would recommend really hard core cold water fish, as it can get really cold. So no tropicals even if you have a heater. Also think about birds, it sounds like it'll never happen but it does, birds love fish fillets. So either get big koi or get some netting over the top. Plants like lilies and pennywort are a good plant choice and they'll make your fish happier. I wouldn't worry about substrate or anything like that either. But in terms of fish, koi would be your best option, and Australian/new guinea rainbowfish are the ultimate mosquito killers and are quite colourful, bloodfin tetras also work well. Some people say celestial pearl danios, but I don't know how they'd cope in the cold.

H Farnsworth

Definitely gets cold here so I agree koi are my best bet and what I wanted so whoot whoot! This is at least a year out I'm just planning and gathering supplies atm.

nikm128

How cold does it get exactly? I believe it's suggested to have an area about 5 feet deep where the water can hold some heat better if the pond will end up freezing over.

H Farnsworth

Oh it would easily freeze 1-2 feet deep but its gonna be something like 10 ft deep.

saltwater60

I’d add a bubbler to keep it oxygenated. Other than that keep invasive fast spreading plants out. Add some plant and water lillies and I do t think you’ll need a filter. Add a water fall or stream. Keep us updated and post pictures to make us drool.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom