Looking to add to my tank? 2 Gallon Tank 

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have a male Betta, and was wondering if I could add a Cory cat or any other algae eater such as snails and shrimp. Also how about any other small fish other than the Betta because I a considering moving him.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
2 gallons is barely large enough for a betta, and there is no other fish that could live happily in that size tank. most people say 2.5 gallon minimum for a betta. you MIGHT be able to get away with a single small snail, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. I'd say leave the male betta where he is and don't add anything.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd go with a nerite snail, they have some beautiful patterns and won't turn the tank into a birthing pool lol.

As far as other fish, really there aren't many options IMO, people often say bettas work with small tanks, possibly because they tend to be solitary fish, and I think partly because they are often trapped in such tiny little cups, so even a 2.5 gallon tank looks like a small ocean in comparison.

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay Thanks, I know my options are limited its just that there is something about bringing a new fish or other animal home.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
redsoxfan320 said:
Okay Thanks, I know my options are limited its just that there is something about bringing a new fish or other animal home.
Sounds like you need another tank.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have the money you could always consider upgrading to a 10 gallon. some can be pretty cheap-maybe like 60-70$ at petsmart depending the brand. your options would increase a bit. my betta loves the 10 gallon and I'm thinking of adding a snail and some shrimp or something.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
asialh89 said:
If you have the money you could always consider upgrading to a 10 gallon. some can be pretty cheap-maybe like 60-70$ at petsmart depending the brand. your options would increase a bit. my betta loves the 10 gallon and I'm thinking of adding a snail and some shrimp or something.
10 gallon starters are $45 at WalMart. you get the filter, water conditioner and food sample, and.... something else.... I forget. but I have one, and I love it ^_^

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Craig's list is a great place to look for tanks. I got my 30 gallon with everything included for about $45.00

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy said:
Sounds like you need another tank.
Watch out for Lucy, she may seem nice but she's nothing but an enabler I tell you...an enabler!

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A 2 gallon tank is really not ideal for a betta alone. As others have mentioned, bettas prefer to live alone in a heated/filtered tank.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jdhef said:
Watch out for Lucy, she may seem nice but she's nothing but an enabler I tell you...an enabler!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ccb04 said:
A 2 gallon tank is really not ideal for a betta alone. As others have mentioned, bettas prefer to live alone in a heated/filtered tank.
a 2 gallon can be heated and filtered. I have a 2.5 gallon that is filtered and I have a heater for it.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
But it's really risky to heat a 2 gallon tank, especially with the tank lights on...leaving the normal incandescent bulbs on for a few hours can heat the water up 2 degrees. It's almost impossible to maintain stable water parameters and temperature in such a small tank.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have tried a nerite snail with 3 of my 4 boys, and one tried to kill it within 5 minutes. but he's a pk. the other two, a vt and ct, put up with their snails for a little longer....several weeks....then they wouldn't stop flaring at them, and the ct even was trying to nip snail. so now they have no roomies. except the ct and vt share a 10 gallon divided. baaaad boys.

a shrimp probably would be killed and eaten.....i'd try a snail if you were going to try anything. but be prepared to have somewhere to put mr.snail if the betta hates him. I have a 20 gallon community where the snails are.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I added 4 tiny rams horn snails to my Betta's tank last night, at first my betta was nose to snail with them. As of today he seem's to be ignoring them as there no fun lol. My tank is bigger than yours.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Get a corona nerite or a hairy nerite--once the betta gets a poke in the nose, it should leave the snail alone. Plus they look super awesome with their spikes!

And I second craigslist: I found (but my husband denied the purchase of) a 55 gallon tank with all accessories *and* stand for $160. o_O. CL is the refuge of the uninformed fishkeeper who had all their fish die over and over and now just want the stuff out of their house.

-Lisa

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Craigslist is the best! I got my 55 gallon with two filters (topfin power 60 and Marineland magnum 350 canister), gravel, decor, heater, a bunch of supplies, a stand, AND a complete 5 gallon "quarantine" tank set up (gravel, light, hood, filter, heater) for only $100.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads