Looking to add cichlids

Wetpets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always been crazy about cichlids and have kept a few over the years but currently have none. I have a 65 gallon and a 75 gallon with tetras, barbs, and catfish. The 65 gallon is my focus right now and I plan to add a single angelfish and a pair of Rams.
The 75 gallon is more of a challenge being stocked with a Senegal Bichir, a Black Ghost, 4 Pictus cats, and 8 Colombian tetras. I've had them all for 2 years now and it's actually a peaceful community. I know I'll need to trade in something to make room for a cichlid or cichlids. Any ideas?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The black ghost knifefish will outgrow the 75 gal, so I'd rehome it. The bichir will get too big for the tank too, so I'd rehome that one as well.

After that, what about this:

4x Pictus cats
2x Severums
12x Colombian tetra
15x Giant danios or skirt tetra

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A Senegal bicher will not outgrow a 75 gallon. Average size cb is 8"-10". A pair of severums would do well with the stock you have.

Wetpets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept Severums before and they destroy plants, guess I should've mentioned it's a planted tank. As for the ghost, I've had one before and it grew quickly from 6" to 12" but it's growth slowed drastically. Not that I have a problem re-homing this one I just think it would take several years for it to outgrow a 75 gallon.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
slayer5590 said:
A Senegal bicher will not outgrow a 75 gallon. Average size cb is 8"-10". A pair of severums would do well with the stock you have.
They can get much larger:
http://www.fishbase.ca/summary/5024

If they're only getting 8-10", something is wrong. Unless I'm not looking at the right species?

House

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those sites are not accurate with the size of senegals. They will max out around a foot. 10" is more the norm. Ghost knifes will stay around a foot to 15 inches too. Re-homing the knife at some point maybe a good idea if you get a cichlid.

As far as cichlids you should stick to Americans. Depending on the size of the senegal and knife, you may need to grow one out too unless you can find an adult. Trouble is it would be hit and miss as far as digging in the substrate with an American. Salvini , male convict, green terror, or Jack Dempsey may or may not work. You would want to get one that won't get too big with the other large fish you have. Ideally something around 6 to 8 inches. Blue or gold acara may work too.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No one alive has ever seen a 19" Senegal and as far as I know there is only one museum specimen that large. Unfortunately the type specimen is also the biggest.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
House said:
Those sites are not accurate with the size of senegals. They will max out around a foot. 10" is more the norm. Ghost knifes will stay around a foot to 15 inches too. Re-homing the knife at some point maybe a good idea if you get a cichlid.
How do you know they aren't accurate? And ghosts can get bigger than that.

slayer5590 said:
No one alive has ever seen a 19" Senegal and as far as I know there is only one museum specimen that large. Unfortunately the type specimen is also the biggest.
In the wild or in fish tanks?

If fish are getting bigger in the wild than they're getting in aquariums, we're doing something wrong.

House

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep them. I know a lot of other people who keep them. The only ones who don't seem to know the size of them get their info from web sites with inaccurate data. Same with the BGK.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Seriously Fish and Fish Base are reputable sources with scientific bases. Just because they don't reach that size in your tank doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't.

House

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So you honestly think they have never gotten anything wrong? That's fine. No point in discussing it any further. It doesn't really pertain to cichlids anyway.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think it's wrong as even slayer has said they the type was 18". If they can reach that in the wild, they should be able to reach that in home aquaria in properly sized tanks.

I would rehome it or get a bigger tank before adding more cichlids to the tank, but that's just my personal opinion.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wild caught fish don't come in from the wild or grow any larger cb. The same goes for ropefish the max size is 39" but none in captivity come close to that size.

Wetpets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't rely on information from only 1 source which is why I turned to this forum, personal experience is invaluable. That being said, the BG is about a foot long and the SB is 6". If I have to re-home one or both of them that's fine, I'm more concerned with plant/ tetra safe cichlids.

House

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the biggest concern is that you might have 3 large fish in a 75. Your bichir will not grow to more than a foot despite what others may think. The BGK would be OK in the 75 by itself. Cichlids grow fast too. You could go the more peaceful route with angels or discus and know that your plants will be safe. Or go the more aggressive route with a cichlid that may uproot your plants. I would not keep a bichir with angels or cichlids. But the BGK would work.

I have had cichlids that are commonly known to be diggers that never move the substrate. So in my opinion a larger more aggressive cichlid is possible in a planted tank.

Wetpets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
House, you've confirmed what I've been thinking. So now the question is would my Bichir be compatible with the glass catfish I have in my 65 gallon or not. The tetras will most likely be eaten and I'm okay with that but the catfish are the focus and I can plan around them and the Bichir.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would most likely eat the catfish too.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suspect 2 severum may also outgrow a 75 imo, especially with company.
i could see firemouth, if they arnt bothered by pictus, maybe acaras

House

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Severums would be fine in a 75 if it were not planted. They are known plant eaters.

And I would not trust a senegal with glass catfish.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like sevs in at least 90 if they have tankmates.
But agree on the glass catfish.
Im thinking w/o the bichir, acaras might work.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads