Looking Into Live Plants

jlsmith

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had a 10 gallon freshwater tank that's been running for a little over a year. Currently it's stocked with 2 creamsicle lyre-tail mollies and 2 corydoras julii catfish. I have aquarium gravel, an ornament and some plastic plants in there.

The past few months I have been noticing this black algae growing on the plastic plants and no matter what I do it just keeps coming back ( I also think it looks ugly as I like to keep a clean tank). I also tend to have a hard time keeping the nitrate level down (I'm pretty sure a contributing factor is my tap water even though I treat it with a conditioner before adding it to the tank)

I have been considering getting some live plants to give my tank a more natural look and help with the nitrate levels however I want to know what I'm getting into before I go out and purchase them:

1) What sort of maintenance do live plants require?
2) What plants would you recommend for my tank?

Thanks for the help

ScareCrowe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maintenance depends on the plants. If you stick to java ferns, annubias, java moss & some of the easier plants you don't need much. Maybe some liquid fertilizer or root tabs for root feeders. Beyond that just trim if they start to get too big. And any of the above should grow in almost any tank

Maxxx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly if you get a rosette or amazon sword they should do fine. With all the fish poop in that gravel I don’t even think you need root taps. The biggest limiting factor you may have is lighting. Stay away from plants that need more than low light and you should be fine. Unless you want to upgrade the light. If you wouldn’t mind taking down the tank, I would buy a bag of topsoil and play sand. Put down about 1-2 inch of topsoil and cover with 2 inches of play sand. Just make sure to rinse out sand really well before adding. Then fill with water and add plants. Some plants do not do well in the gravel but most I have had like the sand since it’s easy for the roots to spread. You could do root taps but soil is a ton cheaper.

Maintenance is pretty low key depending on the set up. I just scrape the algae that sometimes grows on them off (I have some green hair algae) my plants are an amazon and a rosette sword, some type of hygro and an anubis buried in there.
IMG_9558.JPG

At one point I tried and failed at dwarf hairgrass and I had a dwarf lily but it outgrew the tank and got moved to my brothers 55.

All the plants I have have survived my abuse. This tank has Fluval stratum with some black sand on top. My brother set up his with the play sand on topsoil and he has pretty similar plants and a few Java ferns. They should all do well in your tank.

jlsmith

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks awesome! With the sand/top soil how do you keep it clean of fish poop? Or does it just clean itself? With my gravel I use a gravel vacuum on occasion (1-2x per month) to keep things relatively tidy

Maxxx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jlsmith said:
Looks awesome! With the sand/top soil how do you keep it clean of fish poop? Or does it just clean itself? With my gravel I use a gravel vacuum on occasion (1-2x per month) to keep things relatively tidy
I gravel vac the sand and just keep from breaking through to the bottom layer but since I have black sand the poop doesn’t show that much and the plants feed off the nutrients from it anyway. Gravel is much harder to keep clean than sand since stuff sinks down in gravel but stays on top of sand. I have a turkey baster I use to spot clean if I need to.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom