Looking into crayfish. Answers needed

RissaRoo

My husband usually isn't too interested in my aquariums, he's an amazing helper and extremely supportive in my hobby though. However, he saw a white crayfish at our local specialty aquarium shop last week and fell in love with it. It broke my heart to walk out of there without getting it for him, but I don't have any experience in keeping invertebrates and I didn't think it could be kept in any of my current tanks. So, I've been doing a lot of research this past week in hopes to surprise him with one as soon I feel knowledgeable enough to properly care for it.
So, my questions are....
1. Would a 20 gallon tank be suitable for a single crayfish? Or do you think I should go bigger? This will be HIS first aquarium (mind you, we will take care of it together) and I don't want him to become overwhelmed when he realizes the amount of maintenance it takes.
2. I already have extra heaters, filters, caves and ect. needed for a new setup, but I usually use a small pebble substrate (so I already have about 10 lbs of that just sitting there) would that be sufficient to use? If not, what kind of substrate should I use?
3. My husband is a musician and we have 5 children. So, needles to say, it's quite loud on my house. The fish and snails we have now don't mind all of the commotion. Sometimes I think my Betta likes the children more then me lol. Are crayfish sensitive to being around a lot of people and vibrations? I was looking into getting some African dwarf frogs (I think that's what they were called) awhile back but was advised not to because they were sensitive to vibrations. I know frogs are obvious different, but like I said, I do not have experience with crayfish at all.

Thank you all in advance and any other info or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

richiep

Hi RissaRoo it's nice to see someone doing their research and reaching out before buying one of these
A 20g would be great for him, caves and hides are a necessity he will spend a lot of time in them when he molts, small pebble substrate will do but sand is even better as most cray love to move sand around and sometimes will burry his molt and dig it up when he wants to eat it.
Although I've not come across the question on sound I don't think it'll bother him to much and like everything he'll get used to it
Clean water is a must for these guys so 30/40% weekly water change are on the cards
it sounds like you looked at a marble crayfish so temperature around 22c will be fine.
Cycle your tank as normal before adding him.
Make sure the tank as a lid as they are escape artists when they want to be but this only happens when there's a water problem, this is where clean water comes in.
These are fantastic creatures and you'll spend hours in front of the tank

Upvote 0

The_fishy

My husband usually isn't too interested in my aquariums, he's an amazing helper and extremely supportive in my hobby though. However, he saw a white crayfish at our local specialty aquarium shop last week and fell in love with it. It broke my heart to walk out of there without getting it for him, but I don't have any experience in keeping invertebrates and I didn't think it could be kept in any of my current tanks. So, I've been doing a lot of research this past week in hopes to surprise him with one as soon I feel knowledgeable enough to properly care for it.
So, my questions are....
1. Would a 20 gallon tank be suitable for a single crayfish? Or do you think I should go bigger? This will be HIS first aquarium (mind you, we will take care of it together) and I don't want him to become overwhelmed when he realizes the amount of maintenance it takes.
2. I already have extra heaters, filters, caves and ect. needed for a new setup, but I usually use a small pebble substrate (so I already have about 10 lbs of that just sitting there) would that be sufficient to use? If not, what kind of substrate should I use?
3. My husband is a musician and we have 5 children. So, needles to say, it's quite loud on my house. The fish and snails we have now don't mind all of the commotion. Sometimes I think my Betta likes the children more then me lol. Are crayfish sensitive to being around a lot of people and vibrations? I was looking into getting some African dwarf frogs (I think that's what they were called) awhile back but was advised not to because they were sensitive to vibrations. I know frogs are obvious different, but like I said, I do not have experience with crayfish at all.

Thank you all in advance and any other info or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
1. 20 would be the absolute minimum, 30 for a little more water change leeway. I highly recommend overfiltering with crayfish, as they produce a lot of waste and seem to like flow.

2. Small pebbles are okay, but they really love to move around sand. Medium black diamond blasting sand is usually around $9 per 50lbs. Also, make sure that you have a lid that covers absolutely any hole the cray can fit through because they are great climbers. They appreciate rock caves, but will eat plants.

3. Once a cray gets settled in and used to things, it should be fine. They can be very personable!

The white crayfish in pet stores are usually Procambarus clarkii. They do well at about room temp (under 76F, over 65F), so unless your ambient temp drops lower than this, you will not need a heater.

For food, it should eat sinking wafers and pellets, but you can also offer spinach, lettuce, carrots, peas, broccoli, watermelon, bell pepper, zucchini, cucumber, and the occassional earthworm (be sure to source from somewhere you know has no contact with pesticides) for variety.

Upvote 0

RissaRoo

I could do a 30 gallon, I only have room for a 20 gallon in my den where I usually keep my aquariums, but going larger just gives me an excuse to expand to another room!
Thank you for the tip in the sand! I'm going to look into that. I have extra river rocks, terracotta pots, driftwood and other random decor in each of my tanks so they are ready to move into any new tanks I get to help them cycle. I could use those river rocks to make a suitable cave, I think.
I have a common pleco, so I have stock of most of those food sources already.
However, I live in a very warm climate and my tanks usually sit at about 80 degrees Fahrenheit without the heaters in the warmer months (which here would be from April-October) would that be too warm?

Upvote 0

richiep

If your getting them from your area they will be acclitimsed to your conditions anyway so not really a problem

Upvote 0

RissaRoo

If your getting them from your area they will be acclitimsed to your conditions anyway so not really a problem
Perfect! Thank you

Upvote 0

The_fishy

I could do a 30 gallon, I only have room for a 20 gallon in my den where I usually keep my aquariums, but going larger just gives me an excuse to expand to another room!
Thank you for the tip in the sand! I'm going to look into that. I have extra river rocks, terracotta pots, driftwood and other random decor in each of my tanks so they are ready to move into any new tanks I get to help them cycle. I could use those river rocks to make a suitable cave, I think.
I have a common pleco, so I have stock of most of those food sources already.
However, I live in a very warm climate and my tanks usually sit at about 80 degrees Fahrenheit without the heaters in the warmer months (which here would be from April-October) would that be too warm?
If the ambient temp is that, they’ll already be used to it. I was just trying to get across that extra heating would probably be unecessary.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

mine is in a 20 long with 2 large caves, drift wood and plastic plants

I use a glass lid, so back area is exposed but no escapes as yet. he cannot climb out but he tries

I keep ramshorn snails in there and he kills them periodically.
they bred like crazy so it's no real loss plus it's 'enrichment' as they eat snail in wild.

I got the Penn Plax waterfall ($44), but I would have had to lower water level to be half the tank so I stopped doing that afetr several days. I put a rock on top ( too keep lid on water fall ) and removed the bubbler device. 2nd cave is Penn Plex shale step ledge ($45 - oh it's on sale at amazon right now! 27% off) - my crawfish LOVES this cave and it's his home much of the time.

they are a really fun pet and do have attitude!

sometimes he's chill , and other times full attack mode.

he freaks when I clean his tank and tries to hide. But he's very scared of fingers so I cannot hand feed him through he did take a piece of seaweed algae 1x I gave it. he refuses to take it with pinchers since that 1 time, *sigh* I just push food into cave. he either eats it or snails will.

I do a 25% water change. But I also use Fluval waste control biological cleaner which is amazing!!! I started using it about 6+ month ago. Huge difference because I had some fish I had not moved to larger tanks because COVID pushed my plans for redoing house back to this year. I do a full tank clean 1x a month, the rest is spot clean because 90% of the time, he's in 1 cave. he roams at night but easily spend 16 hours in that cave, lol.

now that cave has 3 holes so it makes viewing your pet much easier than most caves. they can still hide in it, but I can almost always see him at eye level.

I am using the HOB aqueon 10 gallon filter because it is strong and fits for 10-20 gallons. No issues with water flow.

Oh about snails - he massacres them just before a molt, lol. It's nice because then I have a head up on when it's gonna happen. RIP snails. Crabby Cakes, aka King Pinchers is happy so I'm happy. they have a lot of spunk.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Willj626
Replies
Views
zakBlanco
  • Question
Replies
Views
Debbie1986