Looking into an RO unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am looking into getting an RO unit as I am reading that my well water with a water softener is less then ideal for my fish and plants. For those of you who use them what type of set up do you have for getting and storing the water. Do you "make" a certain amount of RO water per day and then store it or what? I got my Python and swore I would never haul buckets of water again but it looks like I might have to.
Any other advice on things to look for when getting a unit.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Flyin-Lowe,

I don't currently have an RO unit but I had one in the past. In the photos below are barrels I use only for fish water and emergencies. They are 55g drums, light weight. I bought them from a store that only sells barrels. I think they were around $75 each.

You can always use a mag drive pump to pump the water from the barrels directly to the fish tank. It works great!
Ken

Attachments

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What you get is a personal choice, but you do tend to get what you paid for. Don't rely on GPD claims as they tend to be based on the maximum output of the unit, yet most homes don't have the water pressure needed for these ratings.

I have a 100 gallon total between tank and sump. After my water change I immediately start up a 5 gallon container for evap water. When that's full I fill a 20 gallon rubbermaid and mix the salt in it with a powerhead. Keep temperature in mind as if you replace ten gallons of water that is 20 degrees less than your tank it could shock the fish a bit.

OP
F

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As much as I wish I did I just don't have the space for big holding tanks. I think I am going to get a unit and mount it in my utility room (washer, fryer, softener, heater, etc). I will probably mount it on the wall near the sink and then just a hose and some type of shut off instead of a faucet. Then I can just fill four or five 5 gallon water jugs the night before my water change and let the temps get to room temp over night and I should be good.
I have a friend who works for a plumbing supply company and can usually get me some good prices so he is getting me some quotes. I think the best thing would be to get one that comes with a 3-5 gallon holding tank (if thats possible) so I could let it make the water and then I can fill a bottle and once it makes more I can fill another bottle, instead of having to watch over it.
any other tips or advice will be great.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon.

The reason I no longer use mine (and this was several years ago) is due to lack of water pressure. It just wasn't worth the effort and too I have well water. I was attempting to keep Discus at the time.

Ken

OP
F

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you know what your water pressure was and what the GPD rating on your unit was? Mine goes up to 65 Lbs and 45Lbs is the low end. I think I read for most units 90 Lbs is ideal. A friend of mine has one and he said he bought a 150 GPD unit and he has lower pressure. He can't make near that much but he fills up several two gallon jugs a night and then does a water change. Ill hopefully get something figured out.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One more thing. If you get one that doesn't have an automatic shut off make sure you turn the water off at night or you'll have it overflow like I did last night. Luckily my tank heater exploded at 2:00 AM and woke me up. So I only have a little water to clean up. Not to mention the tiny fragments of glass that were floating around the tank. I'm afraid to go downstairs and look at it this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom