10 Gallon Tank Looking for unique fish suggestions to stock 10g aquarium

ChromaMK

Reaction score
I am looking to set up a 10 gallon tank, and I would like some nano fish with interesting behavior. I am considering Pea Puffers or Multies, and was wondering if there are any other nano-size fish with really unique behaviors that I could look in to? I already have a tank with some Dario Dario in it, so I would prefer to not just do more of those.

Best Answer - View jkkgron2's answer

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ChromaMK said:
I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 Dario Dario in it, and I am looking to set up another tank with similarly unique fish. I am considering Pea Puffers or Multies, and was wondering if there are any other nano-size fish with really unique behaviors that I could look in to?
I wouldn't put multis or pea puffers with a scarlet badis in a ten gallon. Maybe go with some shrimp or a smaller loach(khulis, rosy, etc.)

OP
C

ChromaMK

Reaction score
AJE said:
I wouldn't put multis or pea puffers with a scarlet badis in a ten gallon. Maybe go with some shrimp or a smaller loach(khulis, rosy, etc.)
Sorry, I meant in *another* 10g!! edited the original post for clarity

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ChromaMK said:
Sorry, I meant in *another* 10g!!
Ohhhh! Well then you've got lots of options. I love pea puffers but I would also love to try multis, they are both so different

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Peacock gudgeons!! In a 10g you could have a trio of them. Mine are starting to come out and I really enjoy them! Only hard thing about them is that they can be picky eaters, but so can pea puffers. Sometimes gudgeons will only eat frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp at first.

OP
C

ChromaMK

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Peacock gudgeons!! In a 10g you could have a trio of them. Mine are starting to come out and I really enjoy them! Only hard thing about them is that they can be picky eaters, but so can pea puffers. Sometimes gudgeons will only eat frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp at first.
I've seen them at my LFS before and they look really neat! How do they behave though, any unique behavioral quirks?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ChromaMK said:
I've seen them at my LFS before and they look really neat! How do they behave though, any unique behavioral quirks?
They like to rest on the bottom, and it’s fun watching them lay by each other. IME they have different personalities, one of mine is shy but the other is very outgoing and seems to be coaxing out the other.

OP
C

ChromaMK

Reaction score
oahtjeff said:
What about CPD?
As much as I like their coloring, I'm more looking for 1-2 fish that have unique personalities rather than a school. ty for the suggestion though!

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll throw in my vote for Multies! I put 4 in a 29 gallon a couple of months ago and LOVE them! So much fun to watch them!

OP
C

ChromaMK

Reaction score
Leeman75 said:
I'll throw in my vote for Multies! I put 4 in a 29 gallon a couple of months ago and LOVE them! So much fun to watch them!
My worry with multies is that I'll never actually get to see them because they'll be hiding in their shells all the time. Is that a fair assumption or not really?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ChromaMK said:
My worry with multies is that I'll never actually get to see them because they'll be hiding in their shells all the time. Is that a fair assumption or not really?
I don't believe so, from what I've seen they go in and out all the time, I've heard that they'll even carry trumpet snails away from their territories

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ChromaMK said:
At first, they were in and out of their shells quite a bit, in fact anytime I approached the tank. However, now, mine only go into their shells when they get really spooked. I've had them about two months and I can actually do a lot of things in the tank without them going into their shells. They'll usually hang out in the shells for a minute or two after I finish putting the water in the tank with a WC. Otherwise, they're always out.

Now, I have them in a 29, but they have a Dwarf Gourami, 2 Platys, 1 pink glowfish (don't ask), a BN Pleco, and 3 Zebra Danios with them. It's not over-stocked from a number of fish to size/filtration, but it's probably overstocked from a Multies feeling safe enough to breed standpoint as they supposedly breed like rabbits and I have yet to see a single fry.

Gudgie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ll throw in another vote for peacock gudgeons! But I might be biased, since they’re one of my favorite fishes. :)

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gudgie said:
I’ll throw in another vote for peacock gudgeons! But I might be biased, since they’re one of my favorite fishes. :)
Lol. Same! They’re Probably my favorite fish I own :)

Gudgie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jkkgron2 said:
Lol. Same! They’re Probably my favorite fish I own :)
Happy to have a kindred spirit! Lol. They are where my username comes from after all - that’s long been our nickname for them.

New Threads