Looking for thread from this forum about disease aquarist get by open sore

indrpd

Reaction score
Hi. I have read a few days ago in rhis forum about the danger of getting disease throu open sore of aquarist's skin. Anyone rembember where this thread was? I didnt finish reading but now could retrieve it.
Thank you.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here is an article on the transmission of disease from fish to humans and I will continue to look for the post in question. I believe it dealt with Fish TB and the possibility of developing granuloma from putting your unprotected hands with open areas in tanks with fish infected with Fish TB.

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/DiseasesTransmittedToHumans.htm

Rose

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
is this the one?

Tan

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Any particular reason you ask? Just let us know if you want any more info.

indrpd

Reaction score
0morrokh said:
Any particular reason you ask?  Just let us know if you want any more info.
Hi.  I have some skin cuts  on my hands that didnt heal for almost a month.  It's the first time it took so long.  I randomly saw the article in this forum about disease transmitted to humans by fish.  I have put may hands in the the fish tank so often with the cut open without realizing it's can be serious.  I only hope that its nothing serious.

I am new in fishkeeping and I still didnt find a way to siphon the gravel vac without using the mouth.  I know its dirty and you can get diseases.  My tank is on the floor level & how do you make the gravel vac start without  using the mouth?

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i've not used a gravel vac yet, so i'm sorry but cant help you on that one! i'm sure some one will soon though!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You will have difficulty using the syphon when your tank is at floor level but I would buy a turkey baster to promote suction to start the syphon before I would use my mouth to start it. If this does not work I would get a battery powered gravel vac or sludge remover to do gravel care.

Rose

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
  indrpd, I use the type of syphon that attaches to a faucet, which when turned on provides the suction to start the syphon.  It really will be easier if the tank is higher.   About your cuts, one thing the article on Fish TB talked about is that it is very rare for people to get infected.  However it is always a good idea to take care to protect your cuts from any possible infection, I just feel folks can over obsess on some things like this. If  your fish show the symptoms of this disease, you may wish to take special care, but..... My rule of thumb is to always wash thoroughly, and use an antibiotic medication after working with my tank, if there are any open cuts.  You can use latex gloves, but if you get your hands down in the water at all, it still seems to seep in over the top of the gloves.   Hope you are having a great fishy day!
Fish in the Frozen North.  -10F this morning!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
to be honest i dont use gloves (i did when my fish were ill - which was prob a bit pointless as the tank would have the disease in before the fish died!!! - i was lucky, my fish didnt have tb.), but i do scrub afterwards with anti bacterial hand wash which should kill anything i hope!

Jeffhvacr02

Reaction score
I don't use gloves either and just wash my hands with soap and water after doing something with the tank. I think you probably have a better chance of getting sick from the germs in a public restroom from touching the stuff in there. If you had the fish for a while like months i would not worry especially if the water has good parameters. I've gotten splashed in the face, eyes, and mouth and besides the whole yuk factor I'm o.k.

Thats my 2 cents

Jeff

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, if it makes you all feel any better I had my bare hands in a tank badly infected with tb quite often before I realized what the disease was. In fact the only time I ever have used gloves in a tank was when I was emptying that tank after all the fish had either died or been moved. And nothing happened to me. That's not to say you shouldn't be careful, and gloves are a good idea if you suspect tb...but you probably don't need to be overly worried that your fish are out to get you.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah, just use your common sense! ;D if you have alot of fish suddenly dying....be cautious, and if you suspect tb, be cautious. there's prob more chance of getting hit by a car than getting tb off a fish!! just if you have any wounds that arent healing....best to get it checked. ;D

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As far as siphoning by mouth there is no need in that. If you have a manual vacuum or just a piece of hose there is a simple method of starting a siphon.

here's all you have to do snake the hose into the tank until completely submerged, plug one end with your finger, lift out of the tank and place in bucket, remove finger, siphone should start. Just as long as bucket is below the tank. No need to get yuck mouth. Hope is helped

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom