Question Looking For The Startup Costs Of A 20g Tank Long?

todd2

Reaction score
Looking to start up a 20g long reef tank but was wondering how much this tank would cost? I am completely new to saltwater and don’t have any equipment I was just wondering how much everything would cost?

PoorBigBlue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, assuming you already own the tank, here's a list of stuff you'll probably need:

2 Koralia Nano 425's (or similar powerheads): $50
1 Aquaclear 70 (for running media/fuge): $40
100W Aqueon Pro Adjustable Heater: $30
Aragonite Sand (15 lbs): $18
Dry Rock (what I recommend for a first tank): $60, or Live rock: $120
Lighting (I don't have a good estimate here, but I'll use a DIY light for a good price estimate): $150 Minimum
Bucket of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals: $55
Refractometer (cheap one off of Ebay): $20
API Master Saltwater Kits (you really want Salifert and Red Sea, but API is a good gateway for people coming from freshwater): $22
RO/DI system: $80 (if you can find one used)

I can't think of much else, so the total price comes to $525 for a dry rock option, or around $580 for a live rock option. That isn't counting a clean-up crew, any coral, or any fish. My prices may be a little off, but you're looking at several hundred dollars to get the tank up and running and ready for coral.

If the price isn't an issue, have a look around and research before you buy. It can save you a lot of heartache later!

Maybe @stella1979 can be of help - she has a stunning 20 long, and can recommend powerheads and lights better than I can.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can do a FOWLR system (Fish Only With Live Rock) for just shy of $400. Reef setups are more expensive due to the lighting. The cheapest light I can think of for a 20 Long Reef would be the 300 watt Mars Aqua "Chinese Black Box" which runs $197. It is very powerful and will give full coverage for the entire length of the tank. If you want to go cheaper you could do the regular 165 watt black box but it really only covers a 24 inch cube and so you would have to go with lower light demand corals on the edges. They run between $90-$130.

Here is the 300 watt (on a 20 long I would recommend a mounting height of 18-24 inches above your tank and the lowest power setting):

Here are some options for the 165 watt:

Last edited:

Top Bottom