Looking For The Right Pleco Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dee1986, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Dee1986New MemberMember

My tank is a 140 gallon 6’ long tank. I am keeping a baby albino tiger Oscar in there right now. I was planning on keeping only that one fish as I have read and heard how aggressive they are to other tank mates. It’s even a controversial topic “oscars and tank mates”. But the algae is growing on decorations and the glass (of course) and I’m thinking of adding a common pleco :/. As they have “armour” and having heard my best bet for an Oscar to have a tank mate is to grow the Oscar up with one. I’ve heard of people susposedly keeping successfully oscars with other types fish. But could be a success till it isn’t u know what I mean :s I’m thinking my best bet would be to take in a rehomed pleco in need. One that’s outgrown its tank and needs a bigger one. Then my little Oscar (named Gumball) wouldn’t have the size advantage (at least right away and never in length :s).
    My question is, are there other large 12”+ plecos besides the common pleco that still has the strong armour needed. Or is the common pleco it for choices?
    Answers, thoughts and opinions welcome :) please love to learn on fish. Also are all plecos armoured????

2. MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

A common pleco is a good choice. Other large pleco species can get rather pricey, but if that isn't an issue, you have other options(hundreds of types). I've housed Oscar's with other slightly larger cichlids with no ill effects aside from 2 labs pairing off and terrorizing everything. Yes all plecos are armored to some extent, that's what makes them the species a.k.a. armored catfish.
    If driftwood is an option you could set some up in a way that allows the pleco to avoid the oscar altogether as well.
    I've seen both cichlids pick out the eyes of plecos and also plecos rasp the scales off of cichlids so you don't really know what you're getting into any way you go about it.
    You could always infest your tank with bladder snails too to help with the algae lol.

3. Dee1986New MemberMember

What are bladder snails? Are they unsightly like pest snails off aquatic plants?? I don’t want to risk a snail outbreak in a tank I can’t put any fish that eat them :s

4. MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Lol sorry yes it is exactly those little terrors. Was more of a joke sorry. I would reccomend something like mystery snails but I fear they would become a snack for the oscar.

5. Dee1986New MemberMember

Haha I get the joke now :s
    I wish I could have a big ol apple snail In there but I too fear it would be eaten.

6. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

There are tons of large plecos species that reach over 10"-12".

Also, what about syndontis catfish ? The euruptus reach 10" - 12" long fully grown.

7. Dee1986New MemberMember

Are all the different types of larger plecos as safe as the common pleco with an oscar?

8. Dee1986New MemberMember

The syndontis is an interesting choice. Do they eat algae by chance? Or is that a stupid question bc do all cat fish eat algae....?

9. Michael.j.gomezValued MemberMember

Hello, (synodontis euruptus) lace cat are large but very docile & if put w/aggressive tankmate may stress(causing disease) or kill it. Not a very effective algae eliminator.
    Try less light or timer this way nothing gets hurt, killed or rehomed. Hope this helps!!!!!

10. Dee1986New MemberMember

U make a valid point. Nothing gets hurt killed or rehomed with adding no other fish to the tank.
    How many hours a day should the lights be allowed on? I keep them on now between 9/930 am - 9/930 nights, which as I’m writing that now seems excessive :s