30 Gallon Tank Looking for the perfect bottom dwellers

plantgirl04

I just stocked my IM 30L (see below list) and realized I didn't really plan for any clean-up crew on the bottom of the tank.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Current Fish Stock:
7 - Female Galaxy Koi Bettas (Same breeder, size, and age) *Please don't hate on me stocking a sorority tank, I heavily researched the pros and cons of keeping multiple bettas together. This is my dream tank!
9 - Mix of Harlequin and Black Rabsoboras
3 - Vampire Shrimp (2 Females & 1 Male)
5 - Gold Horned Nitrite Snails
Current Plant Stock:
Nomaphila Stricta (Siamensis)
Hydrocotyle Tripartita ‘Japan
Blyxa Japonica
Exotic Vesuvius Aquarium Sword Plant
Cryptocoryne Spiralis
Gratiola Viscidula Tropica
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'
Bacopa Salzmannii 'Purple' (Floating in Planters on top to help with submerging)
In Quarantine:
Staurogyne Repens
Dwarf Water Lettuce
Salvinia Minima

Back to the problem at hand, I need some advice on bottom dwellers that will get along with the bettas and who won't bother my vampire shrimp. Also, any other advice is appreciated in continuing my dream tank build-out. I don't want to overstock and just want everything to thrive.

Attachments

• Sorority Tank Front .jpg
    Sorority Tank Front .jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Sorority Tank Side.jpg
    Sorority Tank Side.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 33

veggieshark

I wouldn't keep anything as cleaning crew. The cleaning ability of critters is overrated; get them only if you like them. However, I am afraid you are already overstocked.

Upvote 0

plantgirl04

Ugh I kinda thought so as well after placing everyone :(

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I think if you got rid of the rasboras you could have a small school of corys e.g. pygmy corys. Depends what look you want, as I'd assume your bettas are top/middle dwellers.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

I hardly think it's overstocked, obviously it would be better to have less fish but if you do large (50%+) water changes every week, then having 8-10 pygmy corys is perfectly fine. As long as you're not buying them primarily to clean.

Upvote 0

MacZ

That white sand pretty much hurts the eyes and there are insufficient spots for cover. For Cories this tank is likely a stressful place. Also, with that soil substrate the tank is actually overstocked, until the plants have really grown in. Until then it will leach a lot of nutrients that are not going to be used up. I would stock up on plants, especially such that suck up nutrients, like floating plants or waterweeds.
I would also be very concerned about the Nerites. There is hardly any aufwuchs.
Just as a sidenote: The rocks, provided they are real Seiryu, will harden up the water and that way raise the pH over time, while the fish prefer softer water.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

That white sand pretty much hurts the eyes and there are insufficient spots for cover. For Cories this tank is likely a stressful place. Also, with that soil substrate the tank is actually overstocked, until the plants have really grown in. Until then it will leach a lot of nutrients that are not going to be used up. I would stock up on plants, especially such that suck up nutrients, like floating plants or waterweeds.
Just as a sidenote: The rocks, provided they are real Seiryu, will harden up the water and that way raise the pH over time, while the fish prefer softer water.
my bad I didn't see the images. Yeah corys would do better in a more covered/densely planted tank. And the nerites should get some kind of food supplement while there's no aufuwchs colonies (tiny crustaceans in algae)

Upvote 0

MacZ

aufuwchs colonies (tiny crustaceans in algae)

Aufwuchs denotes the whole layer of things growing on surfaces plus what lives in it: Algae, bacteria colonies, biofilm, fungi, microfauna. Crustaceans (if they ever appear, usually they don't) are only a tiny fraction of that layer.

Upvote 0

plantgirl04

That white sand pretty much hurts the eyes, and there are insufficient spots for cover. For Cories this tank is likely a stressful place. Also, with that soil substrate the tank is actually overstocked, until the plants have really grown in. Until then it will leach a lot of nutrients that are not going to be used up. I would stock up on plants, especially such that suck up nutrients, like floating plants or waterweeds.
Nooooo the brightness is now all I see, and I'm rethinking the white. The sand is brand new as I already replaced it once from green discoloration.

The reason behind the sand is that I have 1 black-themed and 1 white-themed 6 gallon tank on either side of my bed. The black/white combo was to merge themes with the tank that's at the center of the room.

There are real Seiryu. I have extremely soft well water that desperately needs the boost.

I have more plants on their way; just kind of put the cart before the horse on the grow-out period. I absolutely would not add any other fish until the plant stock is much higher. I fought with some algae before adding livestock—all my fault for not running my Co2 system and not enough plants.

I was leaning towards an SAE but decided against it as the adult size is too much for the tank.

Upvote 0

kansas

You're way over stocked. If that doesn't kill these fish, the bettas will.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Nooooo the brightness is now all I see, and I'm rethinking the white. The sand is brand new as I already replaced it once from green discoloration.

The reason behind the sand is that I have 1 black-themed and 1 white-themed 6 gallon tank on either side of my bed. The black/white combo was to merge themes with the tank that's at the center of the room.

There are real Seiryu. I have extremely soft well water that desperately needs the boost.

I have more plants on their way; just kind of put the cart before the horse on the grow-out period. I absolutely would not add any other fish until the plant stock is much higher. I fought with some algae before adding livestock—all my fault for not running my Co2 system and not enough plants.

I was leaning towards an SAE but decided against it as the adult size is too much for the tank.

Pure white is never going to work in a tank in my experience. Themed tanks can work, but if centered around a colour theme is where you have to decide: Fish or no fish? Aquascapes are usually all but fishfriendly.

How soft is your well water?

Good you are getting more plants. CO2 is not a necessity, though.

Also good you decided against an SAE.

You're way over stocked. If that doesn't kill these fish, the bettas will.

Debatable, but agreeable: Definitely not a good tank for the stock or alternatively not a good stock for the tank. Sorry to say so.

Upvote 0

Ouse

*Please don't hate on me stocking a sorority tank, I heavily researched the pros and cons of keeping multiple bettas together. This is my dream tank!
It might be your dream tank, but to achieve this you’ve put your desires far ahead of the needs of the fish. The sorority is fine, although I’m not a big fan of bettas; that’s just my opinion. The other fish mixed with the sorority however is not fine.
I fought with some algae before adding livestock—all my fault for not running my Co2 system and not enough plants.

Good choice not to add the SAE, especially if the whole purpose of it was to clear up algae. Those fish are essentially algae factories rather than “cleaners.” I’ve explained in detail many times before why adding fish to remove algae has the opposite effect to what’s intended. Others have too.

Seeing some algae is a good sign. Seeing no algae at all isn’t to be expected. Unless it was black beard algae the SAE wouldn’t have touched it.
Nooooo the brightness is now all I see, and I'm rethinking the white.
If you want to replace that white stuff with something whilst still making the bottom intricate and fish friendly, replace with black gravel and add inert rocks that won’t alter the pH/hardness. Such rocks are granite and slate, to name only a couple. The Seiryu stone is already altering the chemistry for the tank to what seems to be a sufficient degree for the fish. Driftwood, spiderwood can be added without altering pH if the KH is high. The brown tint it might create is harmless and IMO looks great.

Upvote 0

plantgirl04

It might be your dream tank, but to achieve this you’ve put your desires far ahead of the needs of the fish. The sorority is fine, although I’m not a fan of bettas; that’s just my opinion. The other fish mixed with the sorority however is not fine.

Good choice not to add the SAE, especially if the whole purpose of it was to clear up algae. Those fish are essentially algae factories rather than “cleaners.” I’ve explained in detail many times before why adding fish to remove algae has the opposite effect to what’s intended.

Seeing some algae is a good sign. Seeing no algae at all isn’t to be expected. Unless it was black beard algae the SAE wouldn’t have touched it.

If you want to replace that white stuff with something whilst still making the bottom intricate and fish friendly, replace with black gravel and add inert rocks that won’t alter the pH/hardness. Such rocks are granite and slate, to name only a couple. The Seiryu stone is already altering the chemistry for the tank to what seems to be a sufficient degree for the fish. Driftwood, spiderwood can be added without altering pH if the KH is high. The brown tint it might create is harmless and IMO looks great.
I absolutely threw all my dreams into the tank and just wished it to work :( that was selfish of me.

I'm going to buy another tank for the Rasboras. I have a sponge filter seeding so once that's done, I will transfer them into my hospital tank while I plan out their new home. I'm going to get in so much trouble for starting another tank lol.

Thank you all for the advice!

Upvote 0

Ouse

I'm going to get in so much trouble for starting another tank lol.
I don’t see why you should get into trouble for providing for your fish. Whoever is punishing you for doing this is in the wrong.

BTW, I recommend 20 gallons minimum just for the nine rasboras, maybe a little bigger.

Luck to you.

Upvote 0

kansas

Good luck with your tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
betta06

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads