40 Gallon Tank Looking for tetra/schooling fish ideas.

Jragan23

I’m stocking my new tank and just wondering what everyone’s favorite tetras are (or other schooling fish). I’m looking for something that really pops in a planted tank! Other fish in the tank will be pearl Gouramis and maybe some bolivian rams in the future. I’ve already had neons before so I am looking to try something else! Excited to hear y’all’s answers!

Idkitsathrowaway

yes i agree i LOVE rummynose ima put like 6-9 in my 29g

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Rummynose tetras have always been one of my favourites because of how they school. If you look up large schools of rummynose it looks just amazing seeing all of them schooling!

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

My favorite tetra are humphead glass tetra. They may be the coolest fish I every had. They are pretty big an expensive and I have not seen them for sale in ten years.

Awesome Tetras For a 40 gallon =
Glo lights, x-ray, black neon, blood fin.
Other great looking hardy and peacful schoolers =
Halequin rasbora, gold barbs, black ruby barbs.

Upvote 0

Jragan23

My favorite Tetra is the Columbian Tetra. Bright blue body W/ blood Red fins. They have the "miniature" shape of their cousin the Piranha.
#2. Buenos Aires Tetra.
#3. Diamond Tetra.
Ooh that one looks cool I’ve never seen it before! I like it just not sure if I’ll be able to find it at my LFS!

Upvote 0

TClare

I like pencilfish, if you can get N. mortenthaleri they are very colourful, but all types are interesting and attractive.

Its difficult to beat neon and cardinal tetras, but some I would like to try are the blue conchu tetra and the Amazon crystal (or pi) tetra. Also the ruby tetra but that may need a blackwater setup. Diamond tetras are very attractive too..

Actually there are a lot of lovely tetras, its quite difficult to choose and may depend on the rest of your setup and what other fish you intend to have.

Upvote 0

A201

They aren't uncommon. Your local fish store can likely order Columbians for you.
I kept Columbian Tetras for years. Very hardy. Very colorful.

Upvote 0

TClare

I was thinking of getting some Colombian tetras to put with my Cichlasomas, but the only ones I have seen here just look silver all over with no blue or red, perhaps they would colour up in a home aquarium...

Upvote 0

A201

They will color up once you get them home. I bought four Columbian Tetras
two days ago. Going to buy several more when a new shipment comes in at my LFS.

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I love emperor/kerri tetras. There are various varieties of blue, black and purple depending on what you're after. Not super common but not rare either so hopefully easy enough to find.

My favorite tetra are humphead glass tetra. They may be the coolest fish I every had. They are pretty big an expensive and I have not seen them for sale in ten years.
Not often that I read the name of a fish I have absolutely never heard of before. Gave them a Google and they are crazy! Cool stuff.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I’m stocking my new tank and just wondering what everyone’s favorite tetras are (or other schooling fish). I’m looking for something that really pops in a planted tank! Other fish in the tank will be pearl Gouramis and maybe some bolivian rams in the future. I’ve already had neons before so I am looking to try something else! Excited to hear y’all’s answers!

I don't know of any fish that looks better than serpae tetras in a planted tank.

Upvote 0

FishDin

A large group of Cardinal tetras would really pop in a planted tank, but that may look too much like Neons for your liking. I have not kept Columbian or Congo tetras, but I think they would be nice in a 40g. Also, I have never seen a large school of Rummynose Tetras I didn't like.

For best schooling I would put as large a group as possible of whatever I chose.

If you want fish that are more active, try one of the nano Danios. Very active, but pieceful.
Someone mentioned Pencilfish. I keep Bickford's and love them, but I wouldn't call them schooling fish.
They do hang out together, but don't really swim around in a school.

Also consider a group of Hatchetfish. Not quite what your looking for, but I had them in my 40 years ago. They help tie your tank together by providing activity at the top of a tall tank, and their cool.

Lambchop rasporas...

Now you've got me thinking of all the fish I want to keep. Better stop before I head to the dollar-a-gallon tank sale at Petco!

Upvote 0

Jragan23

A large group of Cardinal tetras would really pop in a planted tank, but that may look too much like Neons for your liking. I have not kept Columbian or Congo tetras, but I think they would be nice in a 40g. Also, I have never seen a large school of Rummynose Tetras I didn't like.

For best schooling I would put as large a group as possible of whatever I chose.

If you want fish that are more active, try one of the nano Danios. Very active, but pieceful.
Someone mentioned Pencilfish. I keep Bickford's and love them, but I wouldn't call them schooling fish.

Also consider a group of Hatchetfish. Not quite what your looking for, but I had them in my 40 years ago. They help tie your tank together by providing activity at the top of a tall tank, and their cool.

Lambchop rasporas...

Now you've got me thinking of all the fish I want to keep. Better stop before I head to the dollar-a-gallon tank sale at Petco!
I do like cardinal tetras! Reason I didn’t want neons was because they weren’t as hardy because all the inbreeding and I had a bad experience. I’ve never seen a cardinal tetra in person though which is really wierd. None of the stores have had them when I went but I can still keep a lookout! Thanks for all the suggestions I can’t wait to head to the store tomorrow!

Upvote 0

Ouse

Neons and cardinals get boring after a while IMO. Harlequin rasboras and multiple rainbowfish are among my favourites, however to keep them with fish from The Americas, you’ll mix fish from different continents, which isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Harlequins and rainbowfish are from Asia, with some rainbows being from Oceania and Madagascar.
and maybe some bolivian rams in the future.
If you plan on stocking with Bolivian rams you can’t get away with stocking other bottom dwelling fish species without issues. Cories are usually a favourite schooling fish among hobbyists, but they’re now out of question because Bolivians can become territorial towards other fish that roam the lower water column. Bolivian rams are unlike their German blue cousins in the sense that they don’t require a temperature of 27-30°C to thrive. This means they can be kept with most tropical middle or top swimming schoolers at around 25°C.

Upvote 0

FishDin

Eveyones LFS situation is different. I order nearly all my fish online simply because the LFSs here offer nothing new or interesting, just the same old stuff. I envy people that have good local options. Good luck. It's always fun setting up a new tank. Let us know how it goes.
I've kept Bolivian Rams and Corries in a 40 breeder. It has a big footprint and I had it broken up visually (line of sight) with plenty of cover. They totally ignored each other.

Upvote 0

TClare

Lambchop rasporas...

Thats strange, I have Beckfords pencilfish and they school more than any of the tetras I have. The ones that never school are the emperor tetras, they just go all over the tank individually.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

My favorite tetra-like fish are:

harlequin rasbora
all the emperor tetras (Especially the purple and black ones)
brigitae/chili rasbora
emerald rasbora
furcata rainbowfish
congo tetra
lemon tetra

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

I have Pearl Gouramis, a Bolivian ram, Sterbai cories, and harlequin Rasboras in my planted 40 breeder. I love the Rasboras for a schooling fish! Whatever schooling fish you get, keep as many as possible. I have about 20 or 22 Rasboras in there and they look awesome, when I had 12 or so it did not have the same effect. You can definitely keep cories and Bolivian ram together. Mine eat side by side on the bottom and I haven’t seen the ram so much as chase a Cory away from the food. I’ve had them for about a year. Good luck, let us know what you decide on!

Upvote 0

Roman96

A tetra that I don't see being kept a lot anymore is the orange von rio tetra. They are on the smaller side though.

Upvote 0

Jragan23

Thanks for everybody's awesome ideas! I am heading to my LFS tomorrow! I don’t know if I’ll be getting my schooling fish tomorrow or not but I will definitely let you guys know what I end up picking!

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

Have you thought about ember tetras? They are small but very nice to look at.
Also, while not tetras, chili rasboras and cherry barbs are great schoolers

Upvote 0

FishAndDoom

I've been keeping a school of Colombian tetras for almost nine years now, they definitely get very blue. Very gregarious fish that don't get too aggressive with others from what I've seen.

I liked glowlight and lemon tetras quite a bit as well in the past.

Upvote 0

NightShift

If you can find them, look at Lamp chop Rasboras (Espei not Hetero), Much more colorful than Harlequins I think. I have a school of 10 along with 6 Serpae tetras, and 8 Cardinal tetras. Lots of color (Orange, Red, and Blue) and lots of activity.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
veggieshark
  • Question
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views