Looking For Sump Advice

Zach72202

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I just got my 120G (48x24x24) setup and the whole system is routed and holds water, but I have run into an issue. I have two overflows in each corner that come together into one 3/4" tube which that one tube flows into the sump. They go through a ball valve, which is wide open, but it seems my pump pumps water back to the tank faster than it can flow in.

I have done some research on this pump, as I bought this system used and the pump had come with it, and what I have found is that it is a 1200 GPH flow pump. To me this seems like mega overkill and I feel the best way to get around this is to buy a smaller pump, as with overflows it will not overflow the sump, but what size should I be looking for? Maybe 600-800 GPH? And could I use really any pump as long as it fits in the sump and is submersible?

I am assuming this pump worked for the previous person since they used 1" PVC and I am using 3/4" flex tube, reason being I plan to make a new stand for the tank within at least 2 years, so I want to have "wiggle room" to move the sump around. I might even replace the sump eventually anyways, just not in the budget currently.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like Jeboa DC pumps .
They are digitally controlled so you can slow them down and save electricity at the same time

If you search around you will find them cheaper .
The decrease in hose size is why you may be overflowing ? 1 inch should flow 700 gph each ,not real sure on 3/4 ..

OP
Zach72202

Zach72202

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, I will look into getting a new pump. This one works, its kinda just simpler where you plug it in and its goin'. It has no switch for on/off or a throttle.
Thanks for the reply!

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I second the Jebao DC series pumps. Been running the smaller DCT8000 on my 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump for almost 3 years now with no issues. Very quiet pump to boot. I actually did a sound test here of mine. The mic was set literally 1 inch from the sump when I filmed this and you can hear me shut off the skimmer at about the 7 second mark for contrast:

fishkeepinginaisa

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Zach72202 said:
So I just got my 120G (48x24x24) setup and the whole system is routed and holds water, but I have run into an issue. I have two overflows in each corner that come together into one 3/4" tube which that one tube flows into the sump. They go through a ball valve, which is wide open, but it seems my pump pumps water back to the tank faster than it can flow in.

I have done some research on this pump, as I bought this system used and the pump had come with it, and what I have found is that it is a 1200 GPH flow pump. To me this seems like mega overkill and I feel the best way to get around this is to buy a smaller pump, as with overflows it will not overflow the sump, but what size should I be looking for? Maybe 600-800 GPH? And could I use really any pump as long as it fits in the sump and is submersible?

I am assuming this pump worked for the previous person since they used 1" PVC and I am using 3/4" flex tube, reason being I plan to make a new stand for the tank within at least 2 years, so I want to have "wiggle room" to move the sump around. I might even replace the sump eventually anyways, just not in the budget currently.
You could put in a valve in your return hose to adjust the pump's rate of flow. In the long run, it might shorten the life of the pump, but it would at least save you from buying a new one right now.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom