Looking for suggestions for interesting schooling fish

EdieBadedie

Hi all. Recently, I had a disaster with my 55 gallon freshwater tank and my whole school of harlequin rasboras unfortunately died. (I decided, stupidly, not to quarantine a new fish and a fungal infection spread).
I'm heartbroken and don't want to get another school of rasboras because it is too sad.
My stocking right now is 2 pearl gouramis, 2 honey gouramis, and 6 rummynose tetras( I'm going to add some more to them). I've also got amano shrimp and snails.
After I am 100% sure the tank is healthy, I want to add a new school of fish, preferably a colorful group. ( after quarantine, of course ) . I am looking for some suggestions ! I'm really looking for something I haven't had, so no serpae tetras, neon tetras, cherry barbs, or harlequins.
Thanks in advance

ProudPapa

I was going to suggest serpae tetras, because they're hard to beat for colorful, but I see they're not an option. How about a group of either Turquoise or Boesmani rainbowfish?

BigManAquatics

I like penguin tetras, mostly white with a single black steipe down the side, the stripe kind of looks like a hockey stick, hence they are also called hockey stick tetras. Pretty peaceful as long as you have a group of 6-8 of them. Kinda cool as well, because they swim naturally with an upward tilt. Kinda neat to watch a school of them just hovering in the tank like that.

BlackOsprey

I've always been fascinated by diamond tetras or emperor tetras. The latter reminds me of a small and slightly iridescent yellowfin tuna.

fishot

Cherry barbs for sure. I'd also suggest bleeding heart tetras, although they don't really school so tightly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
75 Gallon Tank School Suggestions
Replies
Views
BluMan1914
  • Question
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views