Looking For Stocking Suggestions: Guppy Compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

kattimus

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon tank to house my female guppies while they get rid of any leftover retained sperm. I forgot how prolific the guys can be. (Also, I went a little crazy with plants and made a few too many places for fry to hide. :emoji_grimacing

Crazy Fish Lady seeks suitable tank mates for female guppies.

Tanks mates should:
  • Be willing to munch down some fry for the next 6-8 months as they use up their baby making supplies.
  • Like it tropical... I keep my guppies currently at 78-80 degrees F
  • Not mind a little alkalinity. The pH in my current two tanks are slightly alkaline due to my water source, and was between 7.2-7.6 the last time I checked.

So far, I'm considering:
Other than the female betta, these guys aren't the baby-eating type, which is where I'm stuck.

Suggestions, Fishlore Hivemind?

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe a german blue or bolivian ram? A school of rainbowfish would make a great addition too as they prefer higher tempretures of about 80*

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No on the Betta, cory cats, pleco, and otos as they're soft water fish that won't likely eat the fry, with the exception of the Betta who may attack other fish randomly. Yes on the nerite snail(s). How about some Platies? They like hard, alkaline water and won't breed with the guppies, and they will eat the fry. Mosquito fish (the females look a *lot* like female guppies) will definitely eat all the fry.

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No on the Betta, cory cats, pleco, and otos as they're soft water fish that won't likely eat the fry, with the exception of the Betta who may attack other fish randomly. Yes on the nerite snail(s). How about some Platies? They like hard, alkaline water and won't breed with the guppies, and they will eat the fry. Mosquito fish (the females look a *lot* like female guppies) will definitely eat all the fry.
Not really sure if platies will eat the fry's. From my experience they are extremely peaceful fish

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bolivian Rams would be the easier choice (water at 78). You could also do Platies, Tetra, and dwarf Gourami. Betta, cories, plecos, and otos can absolutely be in slightly hard water with that ph also.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My go to for fry control are betta, (in a 55 you could likely put together a sorority of 5 quite easily), zebra danios, rainbows or about anything considered semi aggressive. Rams, Angels, Kribensis... Any of those three may have a bit of fin nipping but I've had all of them successfully with guppies in the past. Rams like water a little softer but you aren't far into the alkaline range anyway at 7.2 if you keep it stable they should be more than fine if you don't buy wild types.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go with angels. They cleared up my baby guppy pop overnight. Plus they like higher temps abd do well with female guppies and higher ph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 88 66.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.0%

Top Bottom