Looking for some suggestions for my "centerpiece" fish!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 1hawaii50, Apr 14, 2010.

1. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I've got my tank just about as fully stocked as I want it. I may add another couple of corys, and then I want to add the final 1 or 2 fish to be my "centerpiece" fish. I thought I had my centerpiece about 2 weeks ago when I found a beautiful GBR at my LFS. Sadly, he only lasted 4 days. I bumped my water temp up to accomodate him, and subsequently lost 2 panda corys also (not sure if it was due to the temp change, but guessing it was). I replaced the 2 dead Pandas with 2 irridescent corys, and it seems that the 2 irridescents have made the remaining pandas much more active! I currently have:
    6 Praecox (neon dwarf) Rainbows
    4 Platys (2 Rainbow, 2 Red Tux)
    4 Panda Corys
    2 Rabauti Corys (irridescent)
    1 Rubbernose/Rubberlip/Bulldog Pleco

I backed my water temp back down to 75F, and all of the fish seem to be doing very well. I would like my centerpiece fish to be able to tolerate the water in the 75F range, I think the 81F was a little too much for my Pandas!

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

On a side note, anybody considering getting some Platys...don't hesitate! There are some BEAUTIFUL variations out there, and they are GREAT fish! The 2 Rainbow Platys I have are absolutely gorgeous.

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

A Three-Spot Gourami or Pearl Gourami would probably be ok though tehy might not appreciate the high levels of activity from the Rainbows too much. That would be try & see, probably ok though.

Something like a Golden Dwarf Acara (Nannacara Anomala), Flag Cichlid (Laetacara Curviceps), Chequerboard Cichlid (Dicrossus Filamentosa) would work ok. For something a little different a Roloff's Krib (Pelvicachromis Roloffi).

3. OP
    OP

1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

Nutter, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check into those fish you mentioned! They all stay relatively small right? I was thinking honey gourami, but I've read that they prefer slower-moving tankmates...definitely not the Rainbows!

4. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yes they all stay under 4" & are pretty peacefull.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice