Looking for some suggestions for my "centerpiece" fish!

1hawaii50

I've got my tank just about as fully stocked as I want it. I may add another couple of corys, and then I want to add the final 1 or 2 fish to be my "centerpiece" fish. I thought I had my centerpiece about 2 weeks ago when I found a beautiful GBR at my LFS. Sadly, he only lasted 4 days. I bumped my water temp up to accomodate him, and subsequently lost 2 panda corys also (not sure if it was due to the temp change, but guessing it was). I replaced the 2 dead Pandas with 2 irridescent corys, and it seems that the 2 irridescents have made the remaining pandas much more active! I currently have:
6 Praecox (neon dwarf) Rainbows
4 Platys (2 Rainbow, 2 Red Tux)
4 Panda Corys
2 RabautI Corys (irridescent)
1 Rubbernose/Rubberlip/Bulldog Pleco

I backed my water temp back down to 75F, and all of the fish seem to be doing very well. I would like my centerpiece fish to be able to tolerate the water in the 75F range, I think the 81F was a little too much for my Pandas!

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

On a side note, anybody considering getting some Platys...don't hesitate! There are some BEAUTIFUL variations out there, and they are GREAT fish! The 2 Rainbow Platys I have are absolutely gorgeous.

Nutter

A Three-Spot GouramI or Pearl GouramI would probably be ok though tehy might not appreciate the high levels of activity from the Rainbows too much. That would be try & see, probably ok though.

Something like a Golden Dwarf Acara (Nannacara Anomala), Flag Cichlid (Laetacara Curviceps), Chequerboard Cichlid (Dicrossus Filamentosa) would work ok. For something a little different a Roloff's Krib (Pelvicachromis Roloffi).

1hawaii50

Nutter said:
A Three-Spot GouramI or Pearl GouramI would probably be ok though tehy might not appreciate the high levels of activity from the Rainbows too much. That would be try & see, probably ok though.

Something like a Golden Dwarf Acara (Nannacara Anomala), Flag Cichlid (Laetacara Curviceps), Chequerboard Cichlid (Dicrossus Filamentosa) would work ok. For something a little different a Roloff's Krib (Pelvicachromis Roloffi).
Nutter, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check into those fish you mentioned! They all stay relatively small right? I was thinking honey gourami, but I've read that they prefer slower-moving tankmates...definitely not the Rainbows!

Nutter

Yes they all stay under 4" & are pretty peacefull.

Top Bottom