looking for some good colorful plants

1. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

anyone know any good plants that are not green, looking for something little different to stand out in a green planted tank

2. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on what lighting you have over the tank really. I like Ozelot swords as the young leaves are a nice burgundy color & the plant doesn't get too big, 10inch wide & high approx. I also like Hygophilia Polysperma 'Sunset'. It's a stem plant that gets nice pink tops to it. Both plants will handle reasonably low light conditions. If you have strong lighting there are several other choices.

3. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

when you say strong lighting you mean wattage or time of day light is on?
    i have a floresent tube light on my hood, not sure of watts, but it is on for about 12 hours a day.

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The length of time, (lighting duration), makes little difference to plant growth so long as they get at least 6hrs of bright enough light each day. More than 10-12hrs light often leads to algae problems. Light intensity, (how bright they are), is what matters. There are not too many low light red plants, I can only think of the two I already mentioned off the top of my head & even they are more mid intensity lighting. Is this for the 10g in your aquarium info or one of the larger tanks? If you can, pull the tube out & have a look at what wattage it is. Also do you know if it is a T8, T5 or T5HO? This will make a difference. If it is a standard diameter tube then it's a T8. If it is only a thin tube it is a T5. If it is a T5HO, it should be writtten on the tube near the wattage. Sorry to be so complex but it makes a great deal of difference to what you can grow.

What ideas do you need for your Oscars?

5. GMCMaxx Member Member

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but...

My flourescant light fixture has a label that says 40W. Can i install a higher wattage lamp in that fixture?

6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I assume you mean a 4ft standard flourecent tube? If so then I don't believe you can change the wattage of the tubes you use. As far as I am aware you can only get 36w or 40w tubes for 4ft T8 fittings. I use them myself & have never seen anything different for them.

7. GMCMaxx Member Member

thank you.

THIS THREAD CAN NOW RETURN TO ITS REGULAR POSTING

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Well thank you GMC for letting ADK have his thread back. LOL Don't hesitate to create your own thread so that we don't hi-jack others.
    Happy Holidays!:;flake
    Ken

9. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

Nutter,
    thank you for the info, this is in my 30 gallon tank, the hood is 30" so i assume the light is the same, runs the length, i would say it is a t5, it doest seem as large to me as a tube that would be in the shop or garage

i will check tonight on watts and let you know, i have some plants like a amazon sword in there and a few others i dont know the name of, some sort of anibillis or something. all green lol, need color, i have no problem getting the right bulb if you could suggest one for colorfull plants

10. mathas Well Known Member Member

The number part of T5/T8/T12 indicates how wide the bulb is, in one-eighth inch increments... T5 is 5/8" of inch in diameter, T8 is one inch, T12 is 1.5". I've seen quite a few shop lights that use T12 bulbs, so saying "smaller than a shop light" doesn't necessarily mean it's T5. It might be, but it might also not be.

When you're looking at the bulb tonight to find wattage information, you might also want to see how wide the bulb is so you don't act on an assumption that you're using something other than what you actually are.

11. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you Mathas. I couldn't remember the diameters for my previous post.:)