Looking For Shrimp In Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello all you Aussies,

Well I want a shrimp that would work well with tetras, corydoras and possibly some other fish. I want it to be available online or in Melbourne. I would like the shrimp to be fairly large, large enough to be fine with fish. Oh and one last thing, I don't really want any brown/black colours anything else would do

THANKS!!

If possible but not necessary, I would like it to be able to breed. I know I'm really picky but yeah haha

Last edited by a moderator:

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went online to Sydney Discus World and there are a lot of colorful choices for you but they are all about the same size. 1.5 cm. The larger shrimp here (U.S.) all tend to be clear or brownish unless you are talking saltwater.

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm near Sydney and the couple of good LFS near me have RCS, and one has a bigger range including crystals and blue dreams, so there are plenty about, you just need to find the right LFS near you, or a good online seller. Allfish2u is the one that has the big variety near me and they ship and offer online ordering. The owner used to work in the massive fish farms or importers and is really knowledgeable. Give them a call and have a chat if you can't find what you are after in melbs :)

Zahc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not an invert person at all sorry, but I know adult red cherry shrimp are usually fine with most tetras and cory cats. Their young will be in danger in a community tank, but if you have dense planting i'm pretty sure they can still build a colony.

Other then that I can't help i'm afraid. Hopefully someone who's interested in inverts can chime in soon and give you some other shrimp species.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm near Sydney and the couple of good LFS near me have RCS, and one has a bigger range including crystals and blue dreams, so there are plenty about, you just need to find the right LFS near you, or a good online seller. Allfish2u is the one that has the big variety near me and they ship and offer online ordering. The owner used to work in the massive fish farms or importers and is really knowledgeable. Give them a call and have a chat if you can't find what you are after in melbs
Be careful of the Crystal red and black shrimp. They usually will not work in a community tank. They need a low pH.

OP
barandemir09

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I will go with the rcs, there are a lot available around here. I was just thinking of any other possibly native species available around here. And can anyone give me a link to good website to get plants and inverts from?

Oh and btw these will be my first shrimp just to let you know

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.6%

Top Bottom