Looking for recommendations for gluing decor to glass

Froggylove78

I just recently adopted two axolotls. I’m in the beginning stages of fishless cycling a 55 gallon long for them and I decided I wanted to pay a little homage to their mother land with their set up.

I want to be able to affix a 7”x 3” Mayan calendar to the back of their tank (it’s actually a reptile hide, so I’m expecting it to be a bit heavy).

Ive googled how to do such a thing but am not really finding any “how-to’s” for such a project. Glue? Epoxy??
I’d love some help with this!

KeeperOFnano

Hello,

Not sure on the weight and just how much weight the wall can hold.

You can use Epoxy, but on dry tank of course! lol jk to affix to glass and clean up any excess. You would need to prop it up for a period of time to allow the product to bond and adhere to the glass.

I would say crazy glue, or aquarium glue as well. Super glue is inert and same makeup as the specific Aquarium glue...but keep in mind its not guaranteed to be necessarily as strong. Just again you would need to hold it in place. Clean excess after it dries carefully with an exacto blade (clean grease off prior) and please be careful.

I'd recommend watching a YouTube video by a designer named Oliver Knott. There are designs that will blow your mind I'm sure. This can show you a how to and what he uses.

But I have glued decorations to walls successfully with using both superglue and aquarium super glue. Same results. However, most of the time the weight was not a concern. I'm curious how much it weighs and it anyone knows what a wall on a 55 can take?

Sounds like a great setup! Axolotls are a fascinating species!

Froggylove78

Hello,

Not sure on the weight and just how much weight the wall can hold.

You can use Epoxy, but on dry tank of course! lol jk to affix to glass and clean up any excess. You would need to prop it up for a period of time to allow the product to bond and adhere to the glass.

I would say crazy glue, or aquarium glue as well. Super glue is inert and same makeup as the specific Aquarium glue...but keep in mind its not guaranteed to be necessarily as strong. Just again you would need to hold it in place. Clean excess after it dries carefully with an exacto blade (clean grease off prior) and please be careful.

I'd recommend watching a YouTube video by a designer named Oliver Knott. There are designs that will blow your mind I'm sure. This can show you a how to and what he uses.

But I have glued decorations to walls successfully with using both superglue and aquarium super glue. Same results. However, most of the time the weight was not a concern. I'm curious how much it weighs and it anyone knows what a wall on a 55 can take?

Sounds like a great setup! Axolotls are a fascinating species!
Thank you for your help! I was thinking epoxy might be my best bet as well.
I’m just about to fall into the worm hole of YouTube looking at Oliver’s builds
Thank you for your help! I was thinking epoxy might be my best bet as well.
I’m just about to fall into the worm hole of YouTube looking at Oliver’s builds
Edit: I just received the Mayan calendar hide and it’s surprisingly very light weight! (And apologies to the mods for posting the pics from the store website. I forgot the link only rule!!)

KeeperOFnano

Edit: I just received the Mayan calendar hide and it’s surprisingly very light weight!
Oh nice! Hey no worries.

Best of luck with it!

Froggylove78

Oh nice! Hey no worries.

Best of luck with it!
I was on YouTube for an hour looking at Oliver knotts tanks. Wow. He’s an artist!! That huge salamander tank was incredible. Thanks for directing me to him.

KeeperOFnano

I was on YouTube for an hour looking at Oliver knotts tanks. Wow. He’s an artist!! That huge salamander tank was incredible. Thanks for directing me to him.
He has some epic builds! And you've probably noticed a couple more ppl on the youtube recommended, thingy lol.

No prob Froggylove78!

John58ford

I do 3D background features with foam cored cement, and have glued cups and various other items to tanks using pure silicone adhesive. The only problematic materials I have found for this are certain smooth plastics. To solve the problem there I simply drill holes near the glue area into the plastics and it gives it enough bite to stick. I would recommend silicone, it's easy to cut back off the glass too if you decide to do a new design one day.

Froggylove78

I do 3D background features with foam cored cement, and have glued cups and various other items to tanks using pure silicone adhesive. The only problematic materials I have found for this are certain smooth plastics. To solve the problem there I simply drill holes near the glue area into the plastics and it gives it enough bite to stick. I would recommend silicone, it's easy to cut back off the glass too if you decide to do a new design one day.
This is so great to hear! Thank you for this recommendation as I wasn’t having luck with the glue. I’ve got the drill out right now!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Cycling a tank with fish already in it because you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle? Well lucky for you, mattgirl has a great thread on what to do:
Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom