Looking For Recemmendations

1. F

F15FreeEagle Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I am looking to replace my 72" aquarium light in the near future. I have Mbuna cichlids in my aquarium, and LOVE the way this 50/50 light looks on them: Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Zoo Med Reef Sun Fluorescent Bulbs

So does anyone have any idea what led light I would need to get this similar look? I would like to just buy another 72" light fixture, but it seems like the only 72" fluorescent fixture in existence is the one I have (perfecto manufacturing APF26721 from Marineland.) And after the experience I have had with this light, and the experience I have had with Marineland's "customer service," I just simply refuse to buy anything from Marineland now.

2. Jason Watkins

Jason Watkins Valued Member Member

In my experience you're going to have some trouble replicating the exact look of fluorescent with any led setup. That being said, I think a quality LED fixture actually looks BETTER than fluorescent and tends to involve a lot less fuss. Some may disagree, but that's my opinion. The insane pricing on t5 fixtures actually motivated me to make a custom fixture for my 38 gal that uses 4 6500k cfl bulbs. I am not personally familiar with the setup you're using, so as for your question I wouldn't know what to recommend. Just figured I'd share my experience.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of...

The problem with the fixture I have now is that it turns on when I turn it on, but then it will go out for a while, then come back on... I'm pretty sure it's a bad ballast.

I only had this thing for 15 months before it went bad. I messaged Marineland, asking for some help with it, they just said "it's out of warranty, go buy another one." Which is NOT what I was asking about. But hey, what are you going to do?

Anyway, if nobody has any suggestions on how to get the similar look of the bulbs I'm using now, does anyone have any experience with led lights with Mbuna cichlids? What kind will make the blue's and yellow's "pop?"

4. OP
    OP
    F

So nobody here likes the look of their cichlids with an led light? :p