Looking For (reasonably Priced) Floating Silk Plants Or Potentially Real Ones.

Okari

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 gallon tall betta tank (shown in picture) and I want some surface coverage to both complete the aesthetic I have in mind, and give the betta some more peace of mind. when I put almond leaves in he likes hiding under them, and when I tried frogbit he liked to float under them as well.

I'm looking for potentially something like this:
but that is actually reasonably priced. it needs to look like roots flowing down partway into the tank and be silk.

I'm not opposed to live plant suggestions, the issue is water lettuce and duckweed is illegal here (Texas). as I mentioned I tried frogbit and it was doing great for about a month... and then suddenly started melting en mass. its basically completely gone now except for one piece. I am dosing weekly with 1 ml seachem flourish liquid ferts, and the java fern and Anubis on the bottom are coming along fine. I'm not doing any c02 injection, but there is constant air stone at the bottom going.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Red root floaters and water spangles are nice floating plants with decent root systems. Mine are about 3in long so far but they do grow longer. Keep in mind that strong surface agitation isn’t appreciated by most floating plants.

OP
O

Okari

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure what constitutes strong surface agitation, so heres a quick 5 second video of the surface of mine, does this count as significant?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okari said:
I'm not sure what constitutes strong surface agitation, so heres a quick 5 second video of the surface of mine, does this count as significant?

Shouldn't be an issue for most floating plants

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okari said:

I've got oodles of salvinia minima aka water spangles. I sell them in 2oz. cups which gets you anywhere from 7-8+ bunches of plants for $2.00. I can ship tomorrow as much as you desire. Here's some pictures. Since these are about a week old, I have 3x as much of the plants now and need a bunch sold.
20190414_185450.jpg
20190414_185440.jpg
20190413_144052.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do have red root floaters for sale, $18 shipped for 35 square inches (5×7), and I'll have some of the marineland faux bamboo available for $7 + shipping in 2ish weeks. Currently in a QT, don't want to sell it if it has a pathogen or something. Red roots are legal in tx also

OP
O

Okari

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you all for the recommendations and offers! I'll do a bit more research on the red root floaters and salvinia before committing to anything.

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
go out to a couple local waterways (ponds, lakes, streams, bayou, etc) you can find a lot of plants.

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okari said:
thank you all for the recommendations and offers! I'll do a bit more research on the red root floaters and salvinia before committing to anything.
salvinia's illegal in texas, your options are pretty much limited to frogbit and red root floaters unless you wanna break the law lol. duckweed isn't actually illegal (that I know of...) but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to try giant duckweed. I have broad-leaf water sprite that does great as a floater for bettas. it'll eventually get huge but it takes some time. I also have pearlweed floating in one of my tanks.

had to sell this one, it got massive

20190417_180802.jpg
20190422_222318.jpg
20190422_222339.jpg

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
dotted duckweed is prohibited. the other types of duckweed are not.

here's the list

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okari said:
I have a 20 gallon tall betta tank (shown in picture) and I want some surface coverage to both complete the aesthetic I have in mind, and give the betta some more peace of mind. when I put almond leaves in he likes hiding under them, and when I tried frogbit he liked to float under them as well.

I'm looking for potentially something like this:
but that is actually reasonably priced. it needs to look like roots flowing down partway into the tank and be silk.

I'm not opposed to live plant suggestions, the issue is water lettuce and duckweed is illegal here (Texas). as I mentioned I tried frogbit and it was doing great for about a month... and then suddenly started melting en mass. its basically completely gone now except for one piece. I am dosing weekly with 1 ml seachem flourish liquid ferts, and the java fern and Anubis on the bottom are coming along fine. I'm not doing any c02 injection, but there is constant air stone at the bottom going.
I also have water wisteria. It can float or be planted and grows to the surface. At the surface, it then spreads out and acts like a floating plant, but it is rooted.

New Threads