Looking for rare interesting compatable fish! What do I get???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by teddybear22482, May 22, 2006.

1. teddybear22482Valued MemberMember

Im starting a new freshwater tank. 29 gallon. Im looking for some fish that are not your everyday fish. Maybe a greenspotted puffer or figure 8 puffer. What do you guys think? I want to stock my tank with unusual fish and need compatable fish. Im very open to any suggestions. Ive been doing freshwater for 5 yrs so but alway 10 gallon because of the space and the fact that I didnt have time to take care of a large tank or 2 tanks...lol...Im very excited!

2. ChristopherNew MemberMember

puffer fish are kewl but they are little devils. They eat everything and if they can't fit it in their mouth then they take bites out of them. So i wouldn't recomend puffer fish.unless they are by themsevles.

But some interesting fish are African Butterfly ;D, Baby Whale, Archer fish or an upside down catfish. That is all I can think of right now if I think of anything else I will let you know.

Good luck with your new tank ;D

3. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Are you wanting to stay with Freshwater Tropical fish?

Rose
    :)

4. teddybear22482Valued MemberMember

Yes Id like to stay with freshwater. Im basically looking for some fish that are relatively hardy, but not alot of people have...either expensive or rare.

5. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Killifish! Flagfish, Panchax, etc... Pretty rare as they aren't too commonly bred/kept except by enthusiasts.

6. ncjeValued MemberMember

I saw a beutiful bunch of killis at my lfs last weekend.

7. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Spend some time on   to see what's available, and you may possibly get very lucky in finding a local breeder. Also, look for a local fish club or aquarium society in your area to meet other hobbyists and see what's available locally. ;)

8. teddybear22482Valued MemberMember

Great Ideas, Thanks very much everyone! ;)

9. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Try checking out this site, it has a huge variety of fish listed just to get you started. The most colorful and interesting fish might surprise you.

10. ecnaj143Well Known MemberMember

When I get a big tank, this is gonna be awesome. The next tank will be about a 30gal. I'm gonna have like 20 Neons and some bottom dewellers. Then like 12 guppies (12 females and 4 males.) Just imagin the colors and beauty with the 20 neons. Its gonna look tight.

11. BoxermomValued MemberMember

Green Spotted Puffers require full marine conditions and Figure 8s are brackish. I believe Archer fish are also brackish. Baby whales aren't good with many other types of fish as the electrical pulses they use (like sonar) make a lot of other fish wig out. And trust me, you will never see it, either. :) Its noctural and rarely comes out of its cave or the plants, and it does need both.

I love my pitbull plecos, which are pretty unusual (need at least 2-3 minimum as they like the company of their own kind). Kuhli loaches, while not all that unusual, are loads of fun to watch and should be kept in groups of 6 or more.

12. teddybear22482Valued MemberMember

Im going to get the figure 8s. Im just gonna do a brackish tank and keep him there by himself. Ive heard the will kill other fish sometimes. The pet store I went to had both the spotted and the fig 8 in the same tank...hmmm. I believe that they dont know what they are doing! lol. Right now the tank still has nothing in it...sigh... kinda been put off by my salterwater tank...its a 75 gallon and I didnt realize how difficult it could be to set up...my body sure feels it now! LOL.

13. BoxermomValued MemberMember

Most LFSes don't know what they are doing, especially with puffers. And yeah, they should be in a species only tank, puffers tend to be very aggressive towards other fish.

14. zeddyValued MemberMember

you could try glass catfish, they are transparent, elephant nose, there is no other fish like it, rope fish are very interesting, albino clawed frog they are not common and a little creepy. goodluck with your new tank

15. armadilloFishlore VIPMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice