Looking for more sources on fish/needs.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Delaneyw, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Delaneyw

DelaneywWell Known MemberMember

I've been going between fishlore and liveaquaria to find out the needs of the fish I *think* I want. I'm looking for a few more sources. Temps and kh/dh and PH seem to vary sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. I feel like the more information I can find, the better choices I will make.

All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

It would help if you told us which fish are on your wish list, how big the tank is & whether your water is soft or hard then we can help advise you

3. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

I'm trying to get more information compiled before I do that. I know you all will give me educated advice, but I like to do my own research too. I plan on using your great advice for my final choices. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Bob Ellis

Bob EllisValued MemberMember

Try googling 'aquarium fish profiles' as well as looking at the species on Wikipedia.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

I've been googling but couldn't even figure out what to input. I'll try that!

As for Wikipedia, that information is iffy to me. Just anyone can go in and edit it. Like everything else, with a grain of salt!

I just didn't know if anyone knew any other reliable sources.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Many times if you see something like a 4°F difference in temperature range, people have just had success in both ranges. It's not always that one profile is wrong, as long as your water is pristine IMO consistency is more important than a few degrees.

7. fishguy1955New MemberMember

Another thing to keep in mind is that the requirements listed for fish are the 'ideal' parameters. The majority of species are very forgiving about some of these parameters as they are blessed with not having read them!

As long as your tank is adequately cycled, filtered and maintained the main factors are bio-load (how many/how large your fish are for your tank size) and species compatibility. You don't want to put cichlids that have a large adult size in too small a tank, or in with neon tetras (who will then be reclassified as food!)

I would first determine your water parameters out of the tap, which you can also get by calling your local water dept if you do not yet have test kits. Then decide which fish you'd like to keep, using the parameters as a guideline but not an absolute. Then decide if your proposed tank size suits your desired fish.

8. Bob Ellis

Bob EllisValued MemberMember

You'd be surprised at the overall accuracy of Wikipedia. Folks are really passionate about keeping their areas of expertise correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Fishbase is great for info, as long as you know how to read it (the site isn't very user-friendly). I would veer away from Liveaquaria, as I would any source giving care info on fish they also sell. I find it tends to not always be reliable.

Seriously Fish is actually my go-to place when I'm looking up species info in regards to common aquarium care. Here's their page on Sparkling Gouramis which is the most accurate I found on the web. They also often provide type locality for the less common fish, so that you can look that up for further information. Often they will provide info on the biotope for a specific fish, suggest good tankmates (I have never seen anything horrendous suggested) and their information on tank size and water parameters is extremely accurate. They go by footprint for tank size rather than gallonage where appropriate, and I find that to be extremely helpful when deciding whether to purchase a fish.

10. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

11. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

I've been using Fishlore. I didn't know about Seriously FIsh and the catfish website. And with "Aquarium fish profiles", I've found more! Y'all are great! :)

12. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

I haven't messed with testing our water much from the tap except for PH. (7.4) I'm just kind of slowly picking things up. My friend is poking fun about the abundance of research I feel the need to do. In his words, "I'm surprised you have looked up the leading ichthyologist in the country yet." I still haven't ruled it out, ha. I can't help that I love research.

13. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

I have most of my info about fish, shrimp, and plants by googling whatever I'm looking into plus the word "care" at the end, like "neon tetra care" or "red cherry shrimp care", etc. It seems to pull up a wealth of info specific to the species. Often there are species specific forums or website that will pop up that way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice