Looking For Lighting Suggestions.

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some lighting suggestions for my 75 gallon. All I want to grow is some dwarf water lettuce or even just giant duckweed (if I can find it). I'm currently running just a simple Current Satellite Freshwater LED, it only has one row of 6500k white LEDs and some blues mixed it, which I don't think is enough to get a nice cover of floating plants.

Also, could anyone point me in the direction for giant duckweed (spirodela polyrrhiza)? I can't find it anywhere online, only thing I can find is books/articles on how to get rid of it.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some standard florescent bulbs with some natural sunlight through shades and get pretty overwhelmed with duckweed often so I think you'd be fine. If you want fickle rooted plants then I would suggest upgrading lighting.

Unfortunately I don't know where to get giant duckweed anymore as it was a hitchhiker, but I have pounds of frogbit if you want to drive to Texas.

OP
Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MrBryan723 said:
I have some standard florescent bulbs with some natural sunlight through shades and get pretty overwhelmed with duckweed often so I think you'd be fine. If you want fickle rooted plants then I would suggest upgrading lighting.
I'm just looking to grow a nice floating cover of some water lettuce or something. I tried some regular duckweed last week knowing that it will grow even with the lights out... But... My water polisher sucked it all up an hour after I put it in the tank lol.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yeah... giant duckweed will do the same thing tho. You can use a physical barrier at the top of your tank or some kind of partition around the filter to keep it from going underwater and getting sucked up. My current tank I have it in has no surface agitation at all but gets it's oxygen from a separate tank waterbridged to it with tons of surface agitation.

OP
Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I made a barrier with some airline tubing for my HOB and the canister output in preparation for the water lettuce I ordered but all of it was yellow/brown in a clump and unsalvageable, I just threw it in the burn barrel. So you think my current light would be enough for a nice cover? I like the look of the hanging roots, does regular duckweed grow nice roots?

I only put the polisher in once a week overnight after my water change, I can just redirect the nozzle next time haha. It did kind of give of a disco ball effect for little though lol.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By nice if you mean a single strand a bit under 1" long then yes indeed it does.

New Threads