55 Gallon Tank Looking for lighting advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am in the process of setting up a tank, and I'm looking for advice as to what lighting to get. It's a standard 55g long tank.

I plan on picking up lighting kits from , as my current lights are 17wx2 - or slightly more than 0.6w/gallon, which isn't viable from what I've read for growing plants.

What watt/gallon should I shoot for from AHSupply? It is easy enough to do 4w/gallon, or 2w/gallon from their 55w kits. However, I'm unsure as to which would be preferable for a beginner at this, and what plants I should be keeping an eye out for with either.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice, those are supposed to be good kits.

I'd go with the smaller kit, personally. If you do 4 bulbs, you will have to use CO2 and ferts. If you go with 2 bulbs, CO2 and ferts would be helpful, but shouldn't be a necessity. I've had a lot of success in the past with 130W PC over a 55 with low and medium light plants, nothing too challenging. High tech setups just aren't really for me, lol.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Harpua. It really depends on how much maintainance you are willing to do & what result you are trying to achieve. If you want a high light tank & are prepared to supply co2 & fertilizer then go for the brighter kit. If co2 & ferts sounds like too much hard work then the lower lighting kit would be better for you, though you may still need to supplement co2 & ferts depending on what plants you try to grow.

OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Nutter and Harp!

2 1x55w kits look like they are right up my alley then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom