Looking for interseting stocking ideas... 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dean, Mar 22, 2010.

1. D

Dean Valued Member Member

I'm looking for stocking ideas that include interesting and oddball fish for the tank I'm setting up for my classroom. The only fish going in there for sure is a common Pleco that I took off someones hand for them. I need to get him out of that ten gal tank. Other then that I'm open. I was thinking about maybe getting a few Polka dot loaches because they're really cool looking fish and maybe a dragon Goby too. But I am really open to getting a interesting tank that middle schoolers would find interesting. Any Ideas. Thanks for your ideas.

Future tank Specs:
    55gal 4 ft long, 1 foot wide, almost 2 feet tall.
    Eheim classic 2213 filter
    Hydro ILH 300 watts
    Fine grain granite substrate (Chicken Grit)
    Plan on adding plants as well.

2. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Wow, your students are gonna' love that. I know I would if one of my teachers got a big tank like that. There are some really interesting fish out there that you could get. I've never kept Gobis, so I have no idea how to take care of them, or how compatable with other fish they may be. Everytime I see them at a store, I remember always thinking, "Wow, I bet that thing would tear my fish apart!" :eek:

There is always an interesting selection of fish at Petsmart, and you can look at them all on their website. Just be sure you do plenty of research on the fish you choose. Figure out how they like their water, what kind of food they eat, how compatable they are with eachother.(will they fight, do they have the same water preferences or food preferences?) And always be sure to have fun with it! :)

Hope this helps!

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have a 55 oddball tank - senegal bichir (dinosaur eel), african knife fish, leopard bushfish (spotted ctenapoma; african leaf fish), and soon an african butterfly.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Jaysee, what size tank do you have those in?

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Skip the dragon goby, as it is a brackish water fish. The loaches would work great, and I like Jaysee's idea for an African butterfly. They are really unique fish!

6. Jaysee

7. OP
    OP
    D

Jaysee, Great suggestions. I like all of them except the eel. to viscous from what I've read

8. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    D

ooh, i have one in a ten gallon I could put in to it. good idea. He doesn't leave his rock very often though.

10. Jaysee

The bushfish is more aggressive than the bichir (eel) IME; it rules the tank.

11. OP
    OP
    D

hmm, I don;t want to much violence for the middle schoolers to see, mat give them bad ideas...

12. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The bichir isn't aggressive or "violent"; it is just a piscivore and will eat whatever can fit in its mouth. :)

13. OP
    OP
    D

Gotchya. Do they look s cool as the dragon goby? I love the heads on those guys.

14. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

I had to google all of these fish since I'm unfamilar with them and they ALL looked like really cool fish. I might try one or two of those whenever I get a larger tank ;)

15. Jaysee

That's my non-cichlid african tank :)

16. OP
    OP
    D

I had to google them too. I think that would be great "oddball" tank. I Finally decided on a theme!!! YAY!

Any ideas as to which order to add the fish to limit territorial battles?
    3-5 Polka dot Loaches, common pleco, African leaf fish, and an African Butterfly and maybe an upside down catfish.

Any other fish that would be interesting and compatible?

17. Jaysee

I'd add the leaf fish last.

There are a couple different USD cat species, and I believe one gets like twice as big as the other. Id get the smaller one and get a few.

18. OP
    OP
    D

is the general rule to add the less aggressive fish to the tank first and then move to the more aggressive fish?

19. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

No, that is what Jaysee is saying. The Leaf fish would be the least aggressive, so put that one in last. The longer the more aggressive fish are in there, the more time they have to pick their territory.

20. Jaysee

The ctenapoma (leaf fish) has become the most aggressive fish in the tank. However, they aren't overly aggressive from the start.

I usually add the most aggressive fish last.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice