Looking for intelligent community fish 60 Gallon Tank 

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Planning to set up a 60 gallon community with tetras, cories, catfish, plecos and was thinking of having angels, but I'm worried about angelfish agression and really like the look of gauramis...what other fish could I look at? I'm looking for something the size of angelfish/gauramis...

Also considering having dwarf cichlids in the tank.

By intelligent, what I really mean is probably something that will follow you when you walk past the tank, or following a finger on the glass...basically a somewhat interactive fish

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gouramis do that (well my little honey does!) and mollies do that too. You will find once a gourami settles in, he will try to reach out for you with his little feelers, it's cute.

These are just suggestions though, wait until you get more ideas!

(If you're going for a gourami, have either 1 male, or 1 male and 1 female as 2 males will fight)

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello DMT and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Best wishes for your tank and fish and I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore!

+1 Tigerfishy

The honey gouramis are the most peaceful and also the smallest. They may be a little shy at first, but are great once they settle in Mine used to follow my arm around when I was doing stuff in the tank, gently reaching out with her feelers It has been the most interactive fish I have ever owned.

There are other larger gourami species too, but I don't know too much about their temperment from experience. I think the pearl gourami is another very peaceful one too, so another species to look into Good thing to keep in mind is that multiple gouramis may not work out well - even in a big tank theres still a chance they'll fight over territory. Oh, and they seem to love planted tanks too

And one last thing, that is purely from my experience and others may disagree with - try not to put any nippy fish in with a gourami. They are rather relaxed swimmers and provide a target to nip at. Some species of tetras can be nippy - even when in a big enough school. My advice: research as much as you can, and ask as many questions as you need to

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So gauramis are the way to go? Any other fish that is recommended? Was expecting more replies...

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A lot of the more intelligent fish are cichlids, which are not really great community fish because they are semi-aggressive to aggressive and would eat smaller fish such as smaller tetras. Dwarf cichlids could work. Like possibly a ram or two. maybe an apistograma.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gouramis and Angles are both pretty intelligent. I have a 400 litre tank with two angels, a blue gourami and a pearl. They all come to where ever I am near the tank. The angels are smarter. They would practically eat off my finger. I gather they are mainly agressive when breeding. If you have just one show fish you won't have problems. If by agression you mean eating small fish, that is easily solved by mainly stocking larger fish. Congo tetras can be gorgeous. Of course if you get a larger school of them that tanks up a fair bit of your tank capacity.
As for gourami, my blue and my pearl do well together. I don't know whether it is because it is a female pearl. My LFS said opaline or gold can cause more trouble, but I have never had them. Yes, I know this makes no sense. All three spots should be the same but apparently they aren't.
I'd go with any one the above, including the great selection of south/central american cichlids, but get larger tetras.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a beautiful 4" opaline gourami in my son's 29gal tank and he's very intelligent. As soon as he sees me, he comes up and wants attention. The only fish I have that are more personable are my bettas. I was going to get a dwarf gourami for the 29gal, but was discouraged from them by the fact that many of them suffer from dwarf gourami disease (I think that's what it's called). I was then going to get a gold gourami, but saw this beautiful opaline who happened to be on sale, so I got him instead.

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the great info, might just go in for a gourami. Just gotta decide which one!

Regarding bigger tetras, I'm hoping to have fairly big schools (15), so it would be better to go for smaller tetras considering my tank size.

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
went to a few stores today, and decided I really want angels too they look awesome

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How about a fancy goldfish? ALL KINDS of personality, and you can train them to do tricks.

To the other extreme is a spotted ctenapoma. Certainly more aggressive and will eat small fish, it'll check you out as much as you check it out.

Or you could do an african knife. Once it's comfortable with you, you can easily teach it to eat from your fingers. As long as the tetras arent neon size, they'll be okay.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
angels are great too. i have one that feeds out of my hand, although i really like gourmais too

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could have two pairs apisto's and there are a whole bunch of different types to chose from. You could have a school or two of tetras, some angelfish, corys, a pleco or two, and then the two pairs of apisto's. And if you go with live plants and driftwood, you could make it a south american biotope.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Angels have great personality. My father has an angel tank and the moment they see/hear the lid open, they all gather around it because they know it's feeding time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom