Looking for input on setting up 20g

1. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, I have an empty 20g that I would like to put freshwater fish in. I am thinking a combination of platies, guppies and cory's.

Any recommendation of how many of each I should get in total? I will get same sex so no offspring will be in the tank.

The tank will start out cycled as I will be taking some bio-max from my cycled fancy goldfish tank.

How many should I start out with? and how long in between adding more?

Should I add in one type of fish at a time or a little of each?

Thanks so much, this will be my first time having fish other then fancy goldies.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

Moving established media really is the best way to start a new tank. You won't need too much to get it started, unless you are going to buy all the fish at once, which is not a good idea. Putting the seeded media in with the new media of the new filter will get it established pretty quickly. I would start out with one of the livebearers (lets say 3), then the other (3 again), then the corys (5-8 depending on the species). I would get either dwarf corys or pandas, since they are the smallest and a 20 gallon is cramped for larger species. After you get them all in and things are stable, then you could get a couple more guppies or platies, or anything else you may want to add.

3. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

You could do
    3 platy
    3 guppy
    6 panda Cory's
    1 dwarf gourami
    But I personally wouldn't do guppies, and if you don't youfould add a school of tetras! This stock would also work
    5 cardnil or phantom tetras
    3 platys
    6 panda Cory's
    1 German blue ram

4. OP
    OP
    CindiL

Thanks for your response.
    Just out of curiosity why would you do tetras over guppies? I am thinking maybe only 3 cory's and more of the others. Does the 1 inch to 1 gallon apply? I've heard that before but wasn't sure as it doesn't apply to goldfish at all.

5. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Cories should have a school of at least 6. They are also low-bioload. Guppies may not be the best choice simply because they are weak, slow little things that could easily be picked on or killed by other species, particularly the dwarf gourami.

Inch-per-gallon is no more than a guideline and usually way off. There's a lot to consider.

6. OP
    OP
    CindiL

Thanks for the tip on the cories, I will go with more. Even slow and weak I think guppies are beautiful and I want other species that will co-exist nicely with them, so no gourami for me :)
    That is partly why I excluded tetras, I have read they will often nip at the guppy tails etc.

So if I just stick to the 3 species of cories, platies, guppies how many of each would you recommend? I also read the blue ram is a difficult fish to keep. My fancy goldfish take alot of my time so I'm looking for easy fish to start out with.

7. OP
    OP
    CindiL

So with the type of fish I'm proposing I am looking at maybe 5 cories, 5 guppies and 5 platies when all done? I don't mind changing out water more frequently if I need to as the goldfish require huge water changes as it is. I could do 25% every 4 or 5 days if need be.