Looking for information on frogbit plants :)

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello

I'm looking for information on frogbit plants

I want to create a shaded area in my angel tank and want to use frogbit to create this area, then if all goes well, I will try it in other tanks

The flow in my angel tank is pretty strong and it circulates all of the water, I don't even think the corners have much 'still water' so I'm wondering if the frogbit plants will be able to 'settle' with this current possibly moving them a lot?

I'm looking for any personal experience with these plants and any good websites people know of to get information on them. Any general info such as their required lighting and stuff is will also be appreciated

Thanks,
Ben

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know some members have it and will give you a hand.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hiya,

I had at one point frogbit in all my tanks and it did better in some tanks than others. I now have it in a tank with an under gravel filter with bubble tube which has a constant circulation of water flow and it does well and I have it in a breeding tank with a sponge filter and a internal filter with a spray bar and again water circulation is constant and it does really well. I have noticed it shoots around the tank at a million miles an hour for a couple of days at first but then seems to find its settled spot and grow like mad

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the replies guys
Is it easy to remove? I know with duckweed you can just scoop a load of the plants out and thats it, is frogbit the same, or is it all attached in anyway?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I know it will be fine in a bit of a current, grows under most lighting but is best under med-bright light & loves nutrient rich water. Basically treat it exactly the same as Duckweed that needs just a little more light.

ilikefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Frogbit is just like duckweed but even easier because you can easily see every piece! and it grows pretty quicly... I had one frogbit (with just two dime sized leaves) and now i have a total of 4 frogbits with 10 dime sized leaves in 2.5 weeks!

It will do perfectly creating shade! Just make sure that the flow doesn't somehow pull it underwater because it will die... My HOB grabs 1 that hasn't attached itself and pushes it underwater until it gets caught and the leaves start to die... But it can/will settle and actually loves the current and does a great job making shade...

I'm worried though it grows so fast that if I have a bit on the top and I go on vacation for 2 weeks or somthing it could cover my HC lol but its neat. Get some!

Oh and its reallyyyy hardy... it grows in all of my tanks and even the tanks where its not happy about the water parameters and the leaves keep dieing it, it just grows new leaves non-stop and out does the speed that the leaves dying!... I have yet to kill one and I've tried (2 weeks in a cup with minimal ambient light wouldn't kill it... I threw it in the tank and it bounced back.)

Anyways good luck!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks

Well I will try a few plants in the angel tank and I will put a few in my 8G which has a weeker current so I have some back up plants incase the flow in the angel tank is too strong

Thanks everyone!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom