Looking for information about angelfish pairing

Sedna

I have a lone female angelfish in a 29 gallon tank who is roughly nearing a year old I believe. Over the summer unfortunately she lost her mated partner and did attempt to re-pair with our other male angelfish. That unfortunately did not work out and they were separated. She has recently begun her egg-laying every two weeks or so. She was bought at a mom n pop style LFS in the spring. Our goal is to get her another mate but we can't seem to find anywhere close within driving range that is selling any confirmed male angels. So we were wondering if anyone knew of a reputable place or source that could direct us towards a good pairable mate for her. She isn't large in size, but she also isn't small enough that she wouldn't bully any of the angels we would be buying from LFS near us. The commercial-style stores carry just little ones that are barely bigger than a quarter.. And the mom and pop shop can't verify any gender. Thank you in advance.

New2fishlovinit

hello,

I started keeping keeping Angels recently and did some pretty good shopping around for them. I ended up ordering from a shop in FL for a specific Black one and from a private seller here in NY for some others. None of the places I shopped sold single sexed angels. I saw a few breeding pairs for sale on eBay but no singles that I recall. A private local breeder may be best bet ..perhaps local store may know (if they will tell you) one of mine sources their stock from local breeders and don’t give them out. I believe a search on these forums of “best places to buy” will get some options that I did not have at the time. Good luck on finding a partner for your gal.

Sedna

hello,

I started keeping keeping Angels recently and did some pretty good shopping around for them. I ended up ordering from a shop in FL for a specific Black one and from a private seller here in NY for some others. None of the places I shopped sold single sexed angels. I saw a few breeding pairs for sale on eBay but no singles that I recall. A private local breeder may be best bet ..perhaps local store may know (if they will tell you) one of mine sources their stock from local breeders and don’t give them out. I believe a search on these forums of “best places to buy” will get some options that I did not have at the time. Good luck on finding a partner for your gal.
Thank you, I will try searching that. The first 3 angels I originally had came with the tank upon purchase, it was a secondhand sale. I did try getting a few angels from LFS and every single one died within 3 to 4 days, came to find they sold me sick fish because we went back and discussed and got a kuhli loach and it too died within a few days. After that we quit with that LFS, we did talk to another LFS about special orders from where they get stock but can't really order me anything specific, they just said whatever they send is what I'll get.. we did buy our lone female at a more mom n pop shop type place. Her mate was one of the original 3 from my 55 gal tank. We found a few people a few months back when we initially started looking that had confirmed males but they were either 5+ hour drive away, or the male was 2 times our females size.. if I could determine gender I'd go back to where we bought her from, but with angels it's a gamble. Lol.

Linda1234

First females pick their mate so you can't really predict which male will interest her. Usually it is best to buy several young angels and let them grow up together; in your case you have an adult. This creates a bit of a bind since adult angels are quite a bit more expensive and you would need to get several males for her to pick one she likes - i see two options - buy some young angles and let them grow up and then see if she will bond with one of them - this can take 6 to 12 months depending on the age of the young angels. Go to a bunch of stores and find adult males and buy 2 or 3 and then see if she will bond with one of them.

There is a secondary issue that a 29 is really not large enough for a pair of angels full time much less 3 or 4 adults while she picks. A 29 is fine for breeding a pair of angels but hey should eventually be put some place a bit larger.
--
I have a couple of males i could give you if you live in my neck of the wood - not too likely but possible. Unfortunately i gave away my extra golds so i just have a couple of black males.

Sedna

First females pick their mate so you can't really predict which male will interest her. Usually it is best to buy several young angels and let them grow up together; in your case you have an adult. This creates a bit of a bind since adult angels are quite a bit more expensive and you would need to get several males for her to pick one she likes - i see two options - buy some young angles and let them grow up and then see if she will bond with one of them - this can take 6 to 12 months depending on the age of the young angels. Go to a bunch of stores and find adult males and buy 2 or 3 and then see if she will bond with one of them.

There is a secondary issue that a 29 is really not large enough for a pair of angels full time much less 3 or 4 adults while she picks. A 29 is fine for breeding a pair of angels but hey should eventually be put some place a bit larger.
--
I have a couple of males i could give you if you live in my neck of the wood - not too likely but possible. Unfortunately i gave away my extra golds so i just have a couple of black males.
I did know learn not long after we got our original angels about getting multiples together. Our lone female was originally bought to even out the group we had in the 55 gal. Then she chose our unpaired male and surprised us all at how things changed. Her mate passed in the summer though. None of our stores have any confirmed or suspected specific genders unfortunately. I've tried to ask about that with different stores and most don't have any near maturity to identify behaviors even. Would you mind if I privately messaged you to talk further?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lvmyfsh
Replies
Views
Srikrishna
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views