Looking for info on tetra safe start

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by Nanjo4, Jul 26, 2015.

1. N

Nanjo4 Valued Member Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to fish keeping . I have a 29 gal cube with 1platy and 2danios. Been trying to cycle it since May. I am one of those people who was told to add fish after running the tank for a week. Knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle. I have been reading for weeks and have learned a lot. But the tank just won't cycle. I want to try Safe Start but am terrified of the two weeks of no testing or water changes. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this method and still had live fish at the end of it. Thanks so much!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

It works but they really mean it when they so no testing or water changes for two weeks. Otherwise you'll freak out at the wacky readings, do a massive water change, and ruin the cycle. The only exception to this is if you see your fish acting stressed, i.e. gasping at surface etc.

What fish are you starting with?

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

If you are terrified of going two weeks without testing or water changes, you should go with Seachem Stability. If you're like me, two weeks is just too long and I don't have that kind of patience. With Stability, your cycle is more stable (yes pun intended) and you won't see all the wacky readings and the crazy spikes etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

My mother started her 36g tank with TSS and some Platys. During and at the end of two weeks, all her fish were fine. I tested her water and she was at 0, 0 and 10.

6. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    Since May??? That makes no sense. What is your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
    What water conditioner are you using? Have you cleaned your filters? and if yes, how? old tank water, tap water etc?

Also, will you test your tap for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Dom90

I've heard too many water changes with no bacteria product can actually prolong a cycle. This would be the very old school method before products like TSS or Stability were even invented or came on the market.

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I'm also a fan of stability, i can't handle no water changes for two weeks, lol. I've had better luck with stability than TSS myself. 2 danios and 1 platy seems like a really small bioload for cycling a 29g too....other opinions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I was able to cycle my 10g in 5 weeks with no bacteria product. I was consistent with my weekly water changes and used water conditioner with my tap water. And this was before I knew about TSS+. Not that I would recommend this with a fish-in cycle but I guess I just got lucky I didn't have any fish casualties in the process.

10. Dom90

It is, I would bump up the number of danios to six at least.

11. OP
    OP
    N

Two danios and 1platy.

12. Dom90

Yea I'm saying you should get more danios, at least four more. Enough to make an impact on the current bioload.

13. Bijou88

That's what I'm thinking too, your 3 fish may not be producing enough ammonia to get your cycle going

14. OP
    OP
    N

To start, my ammonia stayed around .25 - 50. 0 nitrites. 0 nitrate. I'm using the API MASTER TEST KIT. I used 7 day rounds of Stability twice. No change. Then I put in a bottle of Dr Tim's "One and Only" which I saw recommended on another forum. Ammonia went to 0 and nitrites went to 1. I thought my fish were lethargic and I freaked out and did two 50% water changes back to back and added 5x Prime! So I tested after that and got zero ammonia zero nitrite. Now, 24 hours later I just tested and got ammonia 0, nitrite .25, nitrate 10, PH 7.8, temp is at 80. I really don't know what to next! Help!

Maybe so. I will get 4 more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Bijou88

It sounds like it's cycling. ...having zero ammonia and a nitrite reading is the second phase. Pretty soon your nitrites will go down and you should be cycled. Btw, 80 degrees is a bit on the warm side for danios.

16. OP
    OP
    N

Yes, I think you are right. I am going with Stability. Thanks for the info!

That's great. I think I am going with Stability though. Seems less harsh. Thanks for writing!

I just came back to the fish store and now have 4 more Danios! Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  17. Dom90

Great, keep us posted on your cycling process goes, or if you have any other questions.

18. 173ABN

173ABN Valued Member Member

I cycled a 20 high with TSS and 6 danios with no issues. You need to stop doing massive water changes and follow the instructions on the bottle. Since you are this far in, buy the TSS put it in and wait.

19. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks, Dom90. So I added the 4 new danios--2 blue and 2 zebra-- to go with the 2 golden zebras I already had. Now one of those Goldens (the biggest) is bullying all the others and disrupting their attempts to school back and forth, and chasing them away from their food. Could you give me any advice on how to handle it?

20. Bijou88

They may just be establishing a pecking order, I'd give it a few days and see if they settle down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice