Looking for ideas.....

1. peregrine Member Member

Soo anyone who read my intro novel knows I am starting to get MTS.... Well apparently it's contagious... Was letting my 3 year old feed her fish this morning and my wife came in and said she was thinking of getting some live plants to put in it.Explained to her with the gravel we were actually limited in what we would be able to plant and she got sad and has tasked me with figuring out what we will need to have a nice planted tank... Soo here I am. And hadn't even thought of what to stock or anything. So looking for ideas.... Here is the facts I do know for the build I'm starting the planning stages of...

40-60 Gal tank
    Sand Bottom ((haven't done much research on types of sand.. so any input here is greatly appreciated))
    This will be my second tank, first planted... and according to people I have a black thumb for terrestrial plants.. so for planting ideas, keep that in mind...

So that's all the info.. I know absolutely WIDE open. My wife's only stipulation most like it going to be "pretty fish" which I know doesn't even limit it..

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Gravel isn't actually all that limiting if you add root tabs for the rooted plants! There's also the option of putting driftwood in the tank and tying Anubias or Java Fern to it. Their roots trail in the water and pick up nutrients that way.

It is entirely possible to do a low-tech planted tank with easy plants, low light and a simple sand substrate. If you want to spend the money though you can go all out with special substrates, high lighting, fertilizers and CO2 injection;)

3. BellatheBetta Member Member

exactly what i was going to say. it is definatley still possible to have plants, adding root tabs and/ or liquid fertiliser helps a lot.

4. peregrine Member Member

HAHA I think you are both missing the point. read MTS. HAHAHA.... And this was my wife giving me permission to have MTS...:;laughing

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not trying to stop you from having MTS! I'm just trying to give you options to put plants in more tanks;)

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Well if you are wanting to stick with basic plants, then any sand will do. I personally would go the cheap route and go with pool filter sand (traditional sand color) or black diamond blasting sand (black sand color). You can go all out and purchase the sand with plant nutrients and all that but you can get the same result with root tabs (can get several hundred root tabs on ebay for like 10 bucks).

Do you know anything about what kind of stock you would like? Cool water? Tropical? Community, semi aggressive? Small fish big fish? Do you know the length of the tank you want to buy?

7. peregrine Member Member

tyguy7760 Not sure on Fish stocking. Which is why I'm looking for ideas.. And most likely will be 48"x13"x25" tank ((which apparently according to AQ Advisor is actually a 65 not 60))

For stocking... I have a feeling what my wife is looking for, but won't admit, is brightly colored fish. REALLY she wants a Reef tank.. but I want to get FW down before starting SW of any type.

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Brightly colored eh? Then here is my suggestion for a plant friendly stocking for a 65 gallon. How do you feel about hybrid fish?

Pick one line from below
    1-2 Blood Parrots
    2 Angelfish
    1 Angel, 1 Sajica Cichlid
    1 Rainbow Cichlid, 1 Angel

then to round out the stock
    8-10 Zebra Loaches
    2 Apistogramma Borelli
    6-8 Congo Tetra/10 Dwarf Rainbows/6 Boesemani Rainbow

9. peregrine Member Member

I have no issues with hybrid fish. and WOW.. that Blood parrot is bright for a FW fish... Thanks for the idea...

10. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

No problem. The blood parrots may dig up your plants. Some do and some completely ignore them. You could plant them potted or anchor them really well and they should leave them alone. But none of the fish I suggested should eat the plants.

11. peregrine Member Member

Thanks again. Going to give my wife the list tonight so she can start googling pictures and make choices... And now time to start pricing out equipment.... and plants. and pretty much everything but fish.. haha

12. peregrine Member Member

AAAAANNNNNDDDDDDDD my wife hurts my brain. She has changed her mind again..... Now she wants like a 30ish gal tank.. to move my daughters tetras and zebra danios ((well 2 glofish and 1 regular zebra, long story I know I need more)) into and plant that.....and make their schools bigger....

Any advice on how to make my wife stop changing her mind? HAHAHAHAHA

13. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Haha... not sure I can help you there bud

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Slow and steady wins the race;)

First, see if you can convince her to allow 3 more gallons and go for a 33 gallon long. That will give your active danios and tetras a bit more length to swim. Then pretty soon that tank will start to look small and then she'll need to upgrade!

15. peregrine Member Member

Hahaha Aquaphobia that is why i said 30ish... something easyish to plant.. sooo not too deep compared to length

16. Paincoast89 Member Member

Just root tablets and some luck

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

In that case the 33 long is perfect! It's got a great footprint but is very short;D

18. peregrine Member Member

HAHHA. looking at dimensions if I go 33 long I might as well go 40 long. Same footprint... UGH soo much research.... and need my wife to make up her mind what she wants to do..... hard to research when it changes daily....

19. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

How I convinced my wife to like what I like was to show her funny blood parrot videos from youtube. She was hooked

20. peregrine Member Member

HAHAHA tyguy7760 not worried about getting her hooked to that fish. that will be the easy part. Getting her to decide what size tank she wants is my problem.. and we are talking HUGE swing. From ALMOST allowing me to get 120 gal ((We literally had it in the shopping cart then she changed her mind ))...To getting a 29 and everything in between